Czech Courting customs (not wedding customs)

Talk about Czech customs, traditions, holidays, books, and the Czech way of life.

Moderators: Sova, gementricxs, Dana

ultraspunk

Postby ultraspunk » 08-Mar-06 20:30

I am not joking
ultraspunk

Postby ultraspunk » 12-Mar-06 1:43

were you joking?
Toots pink

Postby Toots pink » 07-Apr-06 22:25

I am courting a czech fella, and he is the most romantic, thoughtful and sweet man I have ever met. Much nicer to me than English men and I cant wait to marry him!! :D
ultraspunk

Postby ultraspunk » 07-Apr-06 22:27

Czech men rule....Take it from me...

Czech/Italian mixes....Even better

:-)
impish

Postby impish » 17-Jul-06 5:14

magan wrote:IAs to "courting by Czech men".........I have been around the block few times (with Czechs and Canadians) and don't have much to say to "romance". Czech men did not strike me as particularly romantic - customary shortest way to have sex (three dates?) and then weasel into situation where they can be "at home" where they both would stay in bed (she would cook meals for him without his help). You can create situation where Canadian woman would NOT cook for him (he would find that rather odd!).....Any Czech woman would start cooking for her man as that is the fastest way how to get man to marry you (some think). Once he would get her there (Czech women cook lovingly and do everything for their man) they would hardly get "out". Privacy shortage used to be problem in CR but I would dare to say that in Canada this would be usual scenario. He would only bring flowers before he gets her to have sex, later just for her Birthday or Name day (good idea, you can check Czech calendar there is name for each day). Then he will start forgeting ...

It would be Czlech man phoning woman he is interested in and he will be persistent as many Czech women are playing coy and men know they have to "push"....woman will eventually say yes. He will be "showing" on the street where she works or live to meet her by chance. He would take her to movies, for coffee to sit and talk long time (only when courting not after they have sex), walks. In CR he would not usually take her out for dinner just for coffee to nice coffee house). Czechs almost never had their own apartments (lived with parents) so it would be weekend at the cottage of some friends (friends not there) he will invite her to go to get her to bed and have privacy. Going camping in the summer is another way (he would definitely play quitar by the fire and sing "tramp songs" all Czechs know. In winter, it would be skiing (also some friends cottage).

I know one Czech man who is getting married very fast (now 6 times). It is cheaper, he says than to court Canadian woman. Canadian woman is expecting that he will take her out (dinners) incl wine even after they have sex. So he has this trick after few dinners out .....to invite them to his apartment to cook dumplings for her (not typically Czech for a Czech man). It always works for Canadian woman....very deceiving. However, next time she probably invite him to her place and makes dinner for them. From then on he will find the way how to spend their time in her place. Staying longer and longer...and then not leaving at all.

I appologize to all romantic Czech men. I know that there are some women on this board who do have them as husbands or boyfriends and they are more up-to-date on their behaviour with woman of other nationality. I personally would not chose Czech man for husband. Traditional role of good wife who works full time and does household and children full time for them is still very much in the back of their minds
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm an American woman who just got snagged by a Czech man. I thought "you will to cook for me" was a misunderstanding of his terrible accent; until I found myself cooking him pork and potatoes for dinner. Am I doomed to a life of hockey games and dumplings or are some of the things you say an exaggeration? :shock:
if you can't eat it shoot it or marry it....
dzurisova

Postby dzurisova » 17-Jul-06 16:27

Impish, the things these people are saying are not an exaggeration. I smile because much of it is all too familiar. I also am an American married to a Czech man. He is tight with the money and getting cards for birthdays and mother's day, etc just is never going to happen. He tries, bless his heart, but he always forgets. Then when we spoke about it, he said exactly what iluvuma1's husband says, that they are a waste of money and wouldn't I rather he save the money for nice vacations, etc. He feels that if he is there with me and gets me a gift that is good enough.

I knew when I married him that he wasn't going to cook and clean. So I used it to my advantage. He smoked about a pack a day and I refused to marry a smoker. We made a deal that he would quit smoking and he would never have to wash the dishes. He quit smoking and has never washed dishes. But I consistently have to remind him that the deal was only about dishes... he could still do laundry, cook, and sweep the floor once in a while. It rarely happens though and I work outside the house full-time and he works from home.

As far as affection. I have a lot of fun with that. He knows better than to deny me affection if I want it. He would pay for that. So I love to take advantage of that when he is with his czech friends. I become really affectionate just because I know he isn't that comfortable displaying affection in front of others. I kiss, hug, sit on his lap. Then the best part is that I say "Miluji te" instead of "I love you." He just smirks and says something in czech which he tells me means "me too." He won't say it. He will however say "I love you" in front of others but I can tell it makes him uncomfortable. That's what makes it so much fun.

I laugh when you say you have a life of hockey and dumplings. That is very true but don't forget soccer. The good part about czech men, at least the ones I know, is that they are faithful and caring. Although most of them believe there is women's work and men's work; they appear to have more respect for women. They give women an honor and respect that one might see in a movie from the civil war times. I've really not seen many "womanizing" czech men. It is more like they protect and cherish women as a gift. They see what women have to offer society instead of seeing women as sex objects like most American men.
Bůh ti žehnej
dzurisova

Postby dzurisova » 17-Jul-06 16:39

also, my step-daughter is czech but has lived in America for about 8 years. She dated czech men there and has dated American men here. She says the same as me. That Amercan men see women as sex objects and are more about having sex. Whereas, czech men have more respect and honor for women and are more about the relationship than just sex. Although American men will buy flowers and candy, etc. They just know what they have to do to get the girl in bed. It's not that they respect or honor her more.
Bůh ti žehnej
impish

Postby impish » 18-Jul-06 19:27

magan wrote:. After so many years living overseas I am still intriqued by cultural differences between me and my Czech women friends - mainly their attitude towards men.

Just out of curiousity, what differs in Czech women's attitudes towards men. Knowing what Czech women think of their men will probably prove more helpful than trying to get a straight answer out of a Czech guy. :wink:
impish

Postby impish » 18-Jul-06 20:01

dzurisovak wrote:I laugh when you say you have a life of hockey and dumplings. That is very true but don't forget soccer. The good part about czech men, at least the ones I know, is that they are faithful and caring. Although most of them believe there is women's work and men's work; they appear to have more respect for women. They give women an honor and respect that one might see in a movie from the civil war times. I've really not seen many "womanizing" czech men. It is more like they protect and cherish women as a gift. They see what women have to offer society instead of seeing women as sex objects like most American men.

Thanks for the well thought out response. I know that alot of my reactions to the things he says are filtered through my own cultural perception of things; as are his. It's good to hear that I'm not reading him completely wrong.

As for hockey and dumplings....

I only realized he really liked me when the scores to his hockey games started appearing in my text message box. :shock:

I think he only realized he really liked me when I brought him a sandwich at one of his games. :lol:

It must be love :wink:
dzurisova

Postby dzurisova » 19-Jul-06 15:10

impish wrote:As for hockey and dumplings....

I only realized he really liked me when the scores to his hockey games started appearing in my text message box. :shock:

I think he only realized he really liked me when I brought him a sandwich at one of his games. :lol:

It must be love :wink:

That's cute. I went to every one of my husband's hockey games before we were married. Since marriage, I go to about 2 per year. My husband says "A bird sings pretty when she's trying to snag a mate." :wink: Listening to your stories of new love inspires me to start going again.
Bůh ti žehnej