New Year Tradition

Discussion in 'Culture' started by Ani, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Ani

Ani Well-Known Member

I've been reading your interesting section on Christmas traditions in the Czech Republic and remembered one of my Czech friends telling me something about a New Year's Traditon. If I understood correctly, you throw burning bits of string onto the branches of a tree and make a wish for each one. Each one that stays on the tree will come true for the following year. I really may have got this wrong, especially the burning bit but I would be happy if anyone could confirm this:)

Thanks

2. Jirka

Jirka Well-Known Member

Hi Ani,

I've never heard of the tradition you describe. It might work in some parts of the Czech Republic though. In fact, it would be interesting to map the different 'subnationalities' with different customs within this country.

People do make New Year's resolutions; some do, anyway. Also, there's a saying in Czech that goes something like "As you do on New Year you will do all year.", so some people try to demonstrate healthy lifestyles on January 1.

Can't think of anything more interesting on the topic...

Jirka

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

I have never heard of the tradition either. I'm from Northern Moravia.

As for the saying Jirka mentioned, its Czech version is "Jak na Nový rok, tak po celý rok".

4. Ani

Ani Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies. Now, I'm really curious!! I'll try asking my friend again about this tradition and will report back:)Maybe as you said, it might be traditional for their part of the Czech Republic.
    Ani

5. Jaki

Jaki Member

I love how Czechs call New Year's eve Sylvester because of the name day! Why don't you call Christmas Eve Adam & Eva???

6. Ani

Ani Well-Known Member

Hi everyone:) I got back to my friend and it seems to be just a family tradition, No wonder no one had heard of it!

7. magan

magan Well-Known Member

I was born in Cz, never heard of that tradition. However, stay away from your friends house at that time of year as they can set their tree on fire :))

One New year tradition is mentioned about and it is "Jak na Novy Rok tak po cely rok" "The way you are on New Years Day - the same way will rest of the year be". Thus we always made sure house was cleaned, laundry was washed and not hanging and we had nice and restful day.