Shopping for clothes

Discussion in 'Culture' started by balletchicadee, Jan 2, 2004.

1. ok well im probably going to the czech republic in august (not totally for sure yet) and i had a few questions.
    1. are clothes expensive over there? should i bring a lot of my own, or buy most of them there?
    2. is ballet common there? will i be able to take class easily over there? and if yes, is it expensive?

ok well if anyone knows anything about those topics, please help! im getting nervous about leaving so any help is great! thanks

Hayley

[This message has been edited by balletchicadee (edited 02-01-2004).]

2. Jaki

Jaki Member

Hi balletchicadee,

I can only answer your question about the clothes - when I was in Czech last summer, clothes were usually a bit cheaper than Canada - but it depended where you went and what you were looking for. BTW - if you are American - Canadians usually go to the States for deals - so our clothes are probably a bit more than yours.. Even though our dollar is less - go figure!

I went shopping in Zlin, Prague and Uherske Hradiste - so I don't know about prices in Brno if you are going there but I imagine it is the same case. Zlin and Uherske Hradiste were less expensive than Prague - but Uherske Hradiste doesn't have a great selection - and in Zlin if you wanted to buy nicer clothes it was almost the same price as Prague - it really depends where you go. Mind you - you will save a lot of money on food - so that makes up for the cost of clothes!!

My sister and I were in Zlin with my hubby's cousin's girlfriend, and she told us she has 3 pairs of shoes (my sister and I have about 30 pair each - which we told her... much to the dismay of my hubby's cousin!)

So I think Czech clothes are not overly inexpensive, but they have less of them than North Americans, and take better care of what they do have.

Just a thought....

3. My Czech Republic

My Czech Republic Administrator

Hi balletchicadee,

Welcome to the boards! We noticed your post and would like to make a couple of suggestions to increase your chances of getting more responses. It is generally recommended for each topic to have a descriptive title and focus on one particular subject. We renamed your topic and recommend that you post your question about ballet classes as a new topic.

Yours,
    My Czech Republic

4. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I'm Czech and have lived in the U.S. for several years so I can only compare between those two countries. As far as clothes prices go, I'd say that overall you'll find a better value in the U.S. Especially casual clothing such as what you can find at the Gap or Old Navy is probably cheaper than similar clothes of the same quality sold in the Czech Republic. You can also see more sales going on in the U.S. than in the Czech Republic, although they're picking up there as well.

Besides prices, you may also want to keep in mind some other factors, such as selection, service, and convenience, which are all better in the U.S. Although service is much improved and the selection and quality of clothes sold in the Czech Republic have been increasing (especially in Prague), the true variety is still missing and you'll see a lot of the same types of clothes sold in many stores. In addition, if you need a size that does not fall into the average range, you may have trouble finding clothes that fit you.

If you're coming from the U.S. and are used to the extremely lenient return policy, be prepared for the fact that in the Czech Republic it is usually not possible to return unused merchandise to the store and get your money back just because you changed your mind or got the wrong gift. Some stores don't allow for any returns (unless the merchandise is faulty), some allow an exchange and some offer a store credit.

[This message has been edited by Dana (edited 07-01-2004).]

5. magan

magan Well-Known Member

I agree with Dana. I also want do ad that sizes are different and selection might not be what you would want to wear back home. I didn't feel there were any good deals on clothes.

I am not sure for how long you are going, but keep in mind that you will not need many clothes when there. People in general own much less clothes than we do in West. Be practical, washing machines are not as fast as in West, dryers are usually lines outside or on the balcony, cleaners are not as good as in West and it takes longer.

In general - clothing is casual, nothing fancy. One bit formal dress for theatre (perhaps black skirt or pants and top). You will save yourself lots of time if you bring clothing you need.

6. Rafroel

Rafroel Member

is there alot of thrift stores over there?
    that is second hand shops, in cse you dont know what a thrift store is