Imaginary friend

Discussion in 'Culture' started by eso, May 5, 2008.

1. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I have question about so called children's "imaginary friend" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_friend )

I read a few articles and of course I 've seen it in US movies, that many American children have imaginary friend - i never had imaginary friend and I don't know anyone, who had.

So, I'm curious - is it a cultural thing? And is it really so common in USA (and maybe in other countries?)

2. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I never had one and never knew anyone who did although I believe many people have "special friends" they fantisize about sometimes :oops: :wink:

3. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

It is not uncommon for American kids to engage in pretend play, often with make-believe characters which usually are based on physical objects (usually toys, e.g. stuffed animals, dolls, action figures, etc.). These I wouldn't classify as "imaginary friends." And yes, often these characters appear in recurring play themes.

Much less frequently (I can't even think of such an instance among my friends), kids dream up strictly imaginary characters. Most often, again, these are in the context of play, and although may recur in different play situations over an extended period of time, generally are not the type of "imaginary friend" you see in Hollywood, where the kid is talking to their friend continually.

Typically the "friends," imaginary or toy friends, are created in the context of social, not individual, play. Even in the individual play cases, the vast majority of kids know their characters are not real, and this play does not interfere with other social interactions. Largely this is just kids being kids. It seems to me, that such behavior often comes from kids trying to recreate scenes from a movie or TV show, and then allowing their imaginations to create variants along the same theme.

So in the end, I wouldn't confuse this with any widespread psychological disorder in American kids. It's a rare occurrence to have the Hollywood-style imaginary friend.

4. czechchris

czechchris Well-Known Member

I was the kid next-door's 'imaginary friend'.

5. GlennInFlorida

:lol: :lol: :lol:

6. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

i agree, although the world might be a better place with more "Harvey"s running around

7. GlennInFlorida

Just an aside - I go by my middle name, Glenn, but my first name is Harvey...(no, not named after the puka/rabbit, though - named after my great grandfather) :?

8. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Thank you for answers.
    I actualy found out, that two Czechs I know HAD imaginary friend (both females).

First had vodníček (little water man) and second had full herd of horses!

:)

9. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

I was born in Prague, but I honestly don't remember whether I had such a friend or not.

10. Yerusalyim

Yerusalyim Well-Known Member

All I had was imaginary friends :shock: ...even now :cry:

11. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Drop Dead Fred - best movie ever involving imaginary friends. In the movie, imaginary friends are real but only those who are in tune with a certain part of the brain can see them. For trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jrj1-QeOaQ

12. Irena M

I'll be your friend! :)

13. alenastef

alenastef Well-Known Member

14. Irena M

I loved Speibl and Hurvinek, but they were real.

15. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

(For those who doesn't know what are Spejbl and Hurvínek like.)

16. Irena M

Thank you for the pics! :D

17. Yerusalyim

Yerusalyim Well-Known Member

WOOOHOOOO...I have a friend.

18. pedro1974

pedro1974 Well-Known Member

when I was kid I had plenty of real friend, so I didnt need an immaginary one.
    I think is harder now, in this time, after 18, to get a connection, to have real friends.
    the kids just need to play, however, wherever.
    for (say) adults, its more difficult, its more about hobbies, interest, job, ideas, money...

maybe now I have many immaginary friends, maybe this forum, the net, is just with immaginary person... :?: :roll:

19. Ark1tec

Ark1tec Well-Known Member

When playing with a friend as a child, one would often play imaginary games with imaginary roles such as doctors and nurses or mummy and daddies or war or pirates etc. This continues when one is alone and often you will see children playing space or war, perhaps on their way home from school. I think this develops as a child gets older and becomes an imaginary friend with a fully developed personality. Perhaps this is a way for a child to develop vocabulary and helps to understand relationships. Reaching adulthood one may try to recapture this ability to unravel relationships that either work or become complicated. Congratulating oneself or Disciplining can be quite common during ones middle ages. Though once old age is reached real people who were important can take the place of the imaginary friend.

20. Ark1tec

Ark1tec Well-Known Member

wierd puppets