Hair culture

Discussion in 'Culture' started by Anna683, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Anna683

Anna683 Well-Known Member

Do the Czechs' political and social attitudes show in their hair? :lol: With the men, I mean. The reason I ask this is because I've noticed that there seem to be a lot more men with long hair in CZ than in the UK. Also more beards.

Is it just a fashion or are they making a statement about their political/social attitudes?

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Like clothes, haircuts in CR are very various.
    I believe that long or short hair, or even color doesn't mean here nothing political today and if someone want to express it, he has to go to extreme, like piercing or something like that. ;)

But to draw attention this way is more and more difficult I believe. People became even more apathetic than before - it's no rare to see in subway for example medieval knight in armor and sword or cowboy or bunch of orthodox priests or rabbis.

3. eso

eso Well-Known Member

4. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Very good! It reminds me of the 24 hours I once spent at Los Angeles airport, when I spent the whole time playing 'Spot the Normal Looking Person' and managed about five, I seem to remember!

5. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

This makes me think about "what to wear" tomorrow :).

6. wissy

wissy Well-Known Member

Fancy dress to Glenn's gathering, now there's an idea........... :wink:

7. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

The next picture in the blog eso linked above, has the caption

"Bunch of British guys thought it was a marvelous idea to dress up in a variety of superhero (and super heroine apparently) costumes and drunkenly trapse around the city. Stupid, yes. Hilarious, of course."

so it ought to be right up your alley, wissy! :wink: :lol:

8. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Well it's street in Prague - I believe it isn't important, which nationality are people.

9. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

L.A. is a whole another ball game! :lol:

10. fabik317

fabik317 Well-Known Member

not anymore, it was in the communist times when long hair was considered overly western, now you either like the look of it or you don't. i have quite long hair for a male (some 20cm/8 inches above my arse) and you could probably label me an 80's-style metalhead but i've never considered myself one. if my hair makes any social (god forbid political) statement, i hope it's something along the lines of "i don't read cosmopolitan (or whatever the male version of it is called) and i don't think/pretend i'm david beckham"

11. ta

ta Well-Known Member

After all we are BOHEMIANS, right???!!! Who else should wear long hair and beards up to the floor but us (Czechs)???

12. Anna683

LOL Yes, that makes sense!

13. Ark1tec

Ark1tec Well-Known Member

I also used to have long hair, not a political statement, more of a bohemian look I thought.
    HHHHHmmmmmmm the English getting drunk abroad one of the more embaressing points about being one of them. Still fantasy role play is good psychology. Got to go bye.

14. ta

ta Well-Known Member

"the English getting drunk abroad one of the more embaressing points about being one of them."

what do you mean by that??? English getting drunk in Czech?? I sense a good joke somewhere in there but I didn't quite get it.. :(

15. BlackBox

BlackBox Active Member

I also have long hair, but I think that it could be political statement some 40 years ago.

This tread reminded me of a story from medieval travelogue where a group of Czech knights travelled to England and people were asking them there why they have such a long hair. They answered that it has just grown that way...

16. Anna683

That's interesting. Sounds as if long hair in CZ has been a tradition for some time!

17. Ark1tec

I was trying to look like jz :evil:

18. BlackBox

BlackBox Active Member

My grandmother often asks me what I am going to do with my hair, and that I look like jesus. As if that was a bad thing.

19. Ark1tec

no looking like that is a good thing all the rage in the rennaisance.
    You look like an old wise man, how old are you exactly if you dont mind me asking?
    as for the english getting drunk it's just that when you go abroad people always assume that because your english that's what you do. so they ask you out for a drink and being english you get drunk and bring shame on your country. shame on you english man for going out and getting drunk abroad and bringing disrepute on your country.Or you got drunk why didn't you invite us?
    well i was a bit far away and i didn't know if you could make it, sorry.
    personally i prefer getting high on life.

20. BlueEyes22

BlueEyes22 New Member

what you will notice about Czech women, no matter what age they are, the most popular hair color is this deep maroon-purple color. It looks hip on young people; but since older women wear it too, this I also do not understand. The funny thing is, I've only noticed this in the Czech Republic and (not so much) in Slovakia. Plus I even seen gypsies do this: they bleach their dark hair to make it light enough so that the purple color will show through more. It's an odd phenomenon this maroon color has on women's hair here. :lol: