My Recent Trip

Discussion in 'Culture' started by tnvol66, Oct 15, 2008.

1. tnvol66

tnvol66 Member

I hope this is in the right section....

I just returned home to the states a few days ago from my visit to Prague and wanted to let all here know what a fabulous time I had. I could write for a long while about my experience, but to keep it short I found Prague to be a beautiful city with a mix of new and old that I have not experienced before. The folks I met were nice and helpful and I could have imagined a better time. I realize that no place is perfect, but the Prague I saw is a city that Czechs and others can be very proud of.

Thanks also to everyone here for their suggestions and help for what questions I had and I look forward to continued participation here on the my Czech Republic message board.

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Nice to hear that.

3. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Thank you for taking the trouble to tell us what a good time you had, Joseph. I'm very pleased, although not surprised - it's a wonderful place, isn't it? The last visitors I had here from the UK said they would move here for good if they didn't have family at home.

And I think you will have had good weather as well, if you've only just gone back. A bit different from the winter conditions we were all predicting earlier! :)

4. tnvol66

tnvol66 Member

The weather was actually a nice break for me. It was cooler, a good change from the heat of East Tennessee. I walked everywhere, feeling that would be a more intimate way to get to know the city. Ironically though, the only two times I was out in the rain were the two times I got myself lost, even with a map. Sounds about typical for me :wink:

5. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

Sorry you got lost, but glad to hear you had a good time overall.

6. Alena

Alena Well-Known Member

Yeah, orientation is always worse when it's raining, no matter while driving or walking. Being lost is my repeated discipline when travelling apart from the weather :wink:

7. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

My favorite thing about Prague is how people are surprised and delighted when I can speak a bit of Czech to them.. Unlike in Třebič where they are just annoyed that I can't speak it perfectly!
    It gives me the courage to try saying things I'd never say in Třebič.. Like.. I'd like an ice cream please. Instead of just pointing at it and saying please..
    Kolik stoji zmirzlina... Ah! okay, Jednou zmirzlinu jahodovu prosim..

Or something like that.. twas good fun

I got completely lost looking for the bus station though.. I knew it was somewhere within 200 feet of where I was but I just couldn't figure it out! A nice couple helped me, once they realized I wasn't trying to trick them and steal all their money; they were so frightened at first! I think they were new to Prague too..