thinking of an adventure!

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by boozehound, Jun 25, 2005.

1. boozehound

boozehound New Member

hey everyone! im a first timer in here to bare with me. but i just had a few questions because my friend and i are going to the czech republic for a few weeks and he's been there, and knows some of the language and culture, but i dont have a clue! :D but anyways one question i have is how do we avoid paying tourist prices for lodging, and what, in american dollars, would be a sufficient amout for a 2 week trip? for example, how far would a hundred american dollars get me? any help or local info would be awesome! heck, when i get there, i'll buy ya a beer! thanks!

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Well, it all depends on when and where you plan to go - obviously, Prague is much more expensive than the rest of the country. E.g. during summer holidays, i.e. in July and August, you can find cheap and clean accommodation in university dormitories (Prague, Pilsen, Brno, Ústi nad Labem, Ostrava, Pardubice, Hradec Králové, České Budějovice, Olomouc, Zlín). As a tourist, I could make it with 600 dollars (accommodation and food for two weeks), but I am Czech, so I know where to go to get the best prices.

3. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

Boozehound:

With the exception of few items -- like beer, cigarettes & city transportation -- the prices of everything are very much the same as in the States. To help you to get a feel for the currency, look at a 20Kc piece as one dollar (they are even the same size as a dollar coin). Accomodations are a bit steep in Prague. A Czech hotel room in the class of a US Motel 6 goes for about double of what you pay in the States, generaly in the $80 to $100 range (you can get cheaper rooms, the skid row equivalent for about 420Kc ($20.00) at your own risk and shared or communal rest room. Electronic items are way out there almost double of US prices (one AA baterry is 30Kc to 60Kc range, one cup of coffee is about the same $1.50 to $3.00).

Hence, if you stay on beer only diet (.75C for 1/2Lt) you can live real cheap. The $600.00 you mentioned can get you about a week to 10 days if you are carefull ($75.00 to $100.00 per day) without major shopping or partying.

Prague is a magnificent city, with much to see and do, but also full of sharpies that will take all you allow them to take. Much like Bangkok if you ever been there. Have fun and good luck!

Viktor