Czech nouns : declension

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by Qcumber, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Qcumber

Qcumber Well-Known Member

The declension tables of Czech nouns are clear.
    May I suggest the following improvements:
    1) Replace hard-to-pronounce nouns (e.g. pr(dseda) by easy-to-pronounce ones.
    2) Give examples of cases with a preposition whenever possible.

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Qcumber,

Thank you for the suggestions.

The model nouns are exactly those that are used in Czech schools and textbooks. I left them the same but I've also added some other nouns to each declension table, so you will now find alternatives.

Declension of Masculine Nouns
    Declension of Feminine Nouns
    Declension of Neuter Nouns

I thought about it and liked the idea but I think it might be redundant to list examples of preposition use with each of the noun cases. There is an overview of prepositions used with each case at www.locallingo.com/czech/grammar/prepositions.html. I have improved the overview by adding a few more prepositions and some more examples. If we were to show examples with each noun declension table, we would basically be repeating what's already listed on the 'Czech Prepositions' page, perhaps only with different sentences. I added a quick preposition overview table to the 'Czech Nouns: Declension' page at www.locallingo.com/czech/grammar/nouns_declension.html.

Is this sufficient or would you still prefer to have examples of preposition use listed with the declension tables?

Dana
    Local Lingo / MyCZ

3. Qcumber

Qcumber Well-Known Member

Dana :
    I'm afraid there is little relationship between teaching Czech grammar to Czech children whose mother tongue, by definition, is Czech, and teaching Czech to foreigners. Unfortunately everything has to be re-thought.

Yes, thanks a lot, Dana, for the reminder on the declension tables, and the preposition tables. These are useful should be kept. The problem is that generally learners find it easier to remember phrases than paradigms (see my post on "train").