Mikuláš/St. Nicolas

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by Anke, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Anke

Anke Well-Known Member

Hey there,

I just read the December Newsletter and think that St. Nicolas´ Day in the Czech Republic is actually celebrated at the Eve of December, 5 th, not 6th. I once spent it here and am quite sure to remember. Anyway, I can tell you for sure next week. Have a nice weekend :)
    Anke

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Thanks Anke, I thought it was the 6th. Let's see what happens next week.

3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Well, I can tell you right now - it is the evening of the 5th, and you can see St Nicholas and his train (a devil and an angel) in the streets of cities, towns and villages carrying presents to kids...

4. magan

magan Well-Known Member

December 6 is St. Nicolas Day (Svateho Mikulase), however it is customary that in Czech Republic some holidays are celebrated night BEFORE that day. i.e. Christmas Day (celebrated on Christmas Eve), also it is quite usual in family to celebrate Birthday evening before .. if it is celebrated at work/with friends it is celebrated same day.

5. Bohaemus

Bohaemus Well-Known Member

Zvyk slavit svátky předchozí den večer převzali křesťané od Židů. Podle židovské tradice je nejdříve večer a pak ráno: „…a byl večer, bylo ráno, den první.“ Proto v židovském kalendáři den začíná příchodem tmy, proto šabat začíná již v pátek se západem slunce. Stejně tak i ostatní židovské dny a svátky začínají večerem. A s nástupem další noci, při východu hvězd, končí. >>> více zde

6. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Briliantni odpoved. v mych 57 letech jsem neslysela duvod proc se ceske narozeniny, etc. tak slavi. Dekuji. :D