The Illusionist filming in Prague

Discussion in 'Movies, Music & Media' started by Jeff, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

I just saw that they are filming The Illusionist in the Vinohrady Theater in Prague. It's a drama that takes place in turn-of-the-century (early 1900s - not 2000s) Vienna and stars Edward Norton, Jessica Biel, Rufus Sewell and Paul Giamatti.

Here are a couple pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SMZ

SMZ Well-Known Member

Well, the cast certainly makes this sound promising! Paul Giamatti was EXCELLENT in Sideways and Ed Norton is consistently strong, as well.

What's the inside of the Vinohrady theatre like? Rococo? Gothic? Art Deco? (Can't always tell from the outside, that's for sure)

Susan

3. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

The Vinohrady Theater (Divadlo na Vinohradech) was built in 1905-1907. The building is considered to be neo-Baroque with Art Nouveau elements. I have not had the chance to see the interior.

4. Maria26

Maria26 New Member

Hello, I´m a new user from Spain.
    I logged in because I found your post about the Illusionist; I really love Edward Norton,I wish I was there.Could you see him? I would be really cool if you could take some pics of him :D

5. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Hi Maria,

I'm a fan of Edward Norton too. I did not see him. The filming was taking place inside the Vinohrady Theater, so I just saw the equipment, the trailers for the actors and the dining tents.

6. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Well-Known Member

Hello!

I also got off the tram at Namésti Míru a couple of weeks ago and I noticed the tents on the square from which the good smell of frying sausages was coming so I got closer believing it was some improvised restaurant offering its greasy specialties :D but as I got near I spotted a few people wearing clothes that I judged “slightly” out of fashion. Actually for I moment I believed I had been taken back in time, specially when I noticed the lampposts around the theater, the wooden newsstand and the billboards announcing the show of an illusionist in German… it didn’t take me much to get it. I was on a movie set! 8) I had been wondering ever since which movie it was. Now I know :D . Still sorry for the sausage though… :?

7. Fia

Fia New Member

Hello!
    Me and my sister are going to Prague soon. Does anyone know for how long they are going to film "The Illusionist" at that location?

/Fia

8. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Well-Known Member

I might be wrong but I think they finished filmining on that location.

Lo

9. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Lorenzo is right, they are no longer filming at náměstí Míru. They were just there for a few days. Now there is a large EU anti-smoking tent.

10. Maria26

Maria26 New Member

Hi! Do you have anything new about the filming like where they are filming these days or any pics? Thank you! :D

11. maddin

maddin New Member

Hi,
    do you know for how long norton will be filmming in prag?
    Is he still there?
    thank you for the information

12. Maria26

Maria26 New Member

Anything new? Thank you :)

13. SMZ

SMZ Well-Known Member

Has this movie come to Prague yet? I saw it in the theatre here (US) a few weeks ago and really liked it. So beautifully shot with strong performances all around.

And, of course, it made me "homesick" for Prague, so I immediately started planning my next trip. :D

Susan

14. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Czech premiere is 9 November 2006.