Importing a car from the UK to Czech

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by Jaybob, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Jaybob

Jaybob Member

Hi, I have seen previous posts on this topic but wonder if anyone has either up to date information or knows where I can find out:

Basically I want to purchase a used car in the UK and export it to Czech?

What I would like to know is do I still need to keep it in the UK for 6 months before doing so or does this depend on the age and value of the car? and of course any other useful information to consider when exporting/importing a car from the UK.

Thanks
    Jason

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

How far I know, the biggest problem is steering wheel on right side. They say it's almost impossible to register such car in CR.

3. Jaybob

Jaybob Member

I'm buying a lefthand drive car from the UK as they are much cheaper than in czech for obvious reasons and looking into it we seem to have many lefthand drive cars there.

4. MK

MK Well-Known Member

Lot of ppl here were buying cars abroad recently because of price. I did not hear about any problems with registering new cars.

Used ones are another cup of tea.

The law change a lot and quickly. Most important thing is how old the cars is and to which anti-pollution norm comply.

Maybe you can consider using your UK car here "on UK plates" hence without re-registration in CZ.

5. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

The people I work for had a car with for left-hand-side-of-the-road for a while, it is illegal to drive it here apparently so they got the whole thing re wired and the controls moved to the other side, which means it legally should fail the NCT or whatever it is test that you have to have with cars every now and then.. but they used to.. what would you say.. be very nice to.. the people doing the test.

Also there were huge problems, the petrol gage and speedometer didn't work etc. I don't really think it's worth it.

6. Jaybob

Jaybob Member

Thanks for the info but the car I wish to import is a car that will be 'left hand drive' which is the same side as the cars in Czech. (In the UK we have right hand drive cars but there are still many left hand drive cars for sale there which makes it cheaper to buy there and export)