Czech citizenship possible for a Czech-born American? hmm...

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by ondrejana, May 6, 2004.

1. ondrejana

ondrejana Well-Known Member

Greetings everyone. I am Ondrej, Jana's husband (I'm the Czech one).

My family escaped from the former CSSR when I was 8 years old and came to the U.S in 1984. Because I was under 18, I was automatically naturalized as an American citizen five years later when my parents applied for citizenship.

I was curious if it's possible to have dual citizenship, both American and Czech (my wife and I have dabbled with the idea of moving to CZ). Years ago, the U.S. didn't allow dual citizenship, so I'm not sure if this is still the case. If it is possible to get CZ citizenship because of my Czech birth certificate, are there other major requirements like living in CZ for a certain length of time (and does it have to be uninterrupted)?

If getting CZ citizenship is not possible, does my Czech birthplace make it easier to live there without having to worry about getting a permit through a job, school, etc. I would also presume that only citizens have voting privileges. Does anyone know if there has been any talk in the Parliament about providing some kind of status to people in my shoes, whether or not they decide to live there? Is there possibly a website that addresses this topic?

Thanks,

Ondrej

2. magan

magan Well-Known Member

hi,
    I am Canadian Czech born and I have both citizenships. Advantage is that I dont have to pay for Visa as I come in on my Czech passport. I can also get public transport card and buy unlimited rides for three months at the time. I am sure there are other advantages. I would think that you have to speak Czech to be citizen. Inquire at Czech embassy by e-mail.

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member