going to CZ, know about the diff. kolej?

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by calivida, May 14, 2004.

1. calivida

calivida Member

Hi! I am from California and will attending charles univ. in sept..
    if i want, housing is arranged for me at the kolej komenskeho, but im not sure about its area.. is it close to students, nightlife? can i ride my bike around? also interested in renting out a flat with other students, do you know how much per room or if listings are posted online? thanks for any help...
    cheers :wink:

2. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Take what you get because reasonable accommodation is hard to find. You can always change your mind later if you find something better. However, kilej would be probably most reasonable.

Everybody here is using excellent public transportation so distance is not problem. It would be helpful if you would know address for Kolej where you will be accommodated, but I am sure that it will be convenient to school.

3. calivida

calivida Member

thanks magan! do you live in prague?

4. magan

magan Well-Known Member

yes, I live here right now - since February. Hope to return home toCanada in the next two or three months.

5. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Well-Known Member

Hi calivida,

I know kolej komenského as I have stayed there a few times during some of my visits to Prague.

It's a nice place. Some rooms are a bit small but comfortable. There's a canteen where you can have your breakfast. I am not sure if students can also have lunch there but I think all rooms are equiped with cooking facilities.

The kolej is located on Parléřova ulice, just 10 minutes walk from the Prague Castle and there are two tram stops just around the corner (2 minutes walk) and Hradčaská and Malostranská metro stations can be reached in roughly 7-10 minutes by tram. From there you can easily get anywhere in the center or around Prague. Night tram 57 will take you back home late at night (after midnight) or in the early morning hours.

It is a very nice location, and above all Hradčany, Malá Strana and the Petřin park are at a stone´s throw.

I know Charles University has a network of different kolej in Prague and maybe, komenského is not the cheapest but as far as I could see it is there where most of the foreign students are located.

Lorenzo