Czech moving to the states

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by mrb204, Nov 8, 2010.

1. mrb204

mrb204 New Member

I know this is the opposite of expats in the CR, but my boyfriend and I are considering moving to the States (well, for me it's back home, I'm American).

He's 30, and he's never been to the States. So it's a big decision for him to think about. Can anyone recommend any resources or offer words of encouragement? Do you think he'll be able to find a job? He doesn't really have any special training.

Thanks a lot.

2. ivos

ivos New Member

Hi there!

Moving to the US? With him being a czech, in his thirties and not possessing any specific qualification/ superior skills -- doesnt look too promising to me.

Lifestyle perspective -- if he is a full-featured czech -- adaptation will be difficult, though not impossible.

Where in the US btw?

And why going there in first place? Youre american, right? Yous should better than anyone know whats the situation like there. If dont have something in place for you waiting, its rather a bad move.

Stay in the EU, go to the north, or elsewhere, but stay in the EU, youll be both safer and with a better chances.

on a different note, I am trying to leave this nice country myself :D

happy holidays 8)

3. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Regardless that we have a Commie in the White house, trying to destroy this great country, it's still the best country in the world. So bring him over! :D

The economy isn't great right now, but if he's legal, he'll find a job, it just might not pay well. If he's not legal, it will be much more difficult. I'm in Michigan, one of the worse states in the Union, economically speaking, and my teenage kids have not had a problem finding a job, so the jobs are still out there, they just don't pay that well, but with 2 of you, you can make enough to keep a roof over your head and food on your table. And if you live here like a Czech - refusing to spend money on worthless things like Starbucks coffee everyday, you'll even be able to create a savings.

4. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Since, he's never been to the states, I would highly recommend that you consider taking a trip for at least a few weeks or a month or so, to give him some idea of what life is like in the U.S., before making up your mind to just dive into it. I know a lot of Europeans who moved to the U.S. that could have benefitted from even that limited perspective such a short trip could give. Not only would he get some idea about whether or not he would like living here, he could potentially job hunt, and it definitely would help with culture shock.

5. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Some things are weird and different, but what I like most about the US is the space. Everything is bigger, there is planty of space everywhere. Of course places like Chicago and NYC might be an exception (exception confirms the rule, as we say in czech).

6. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I know things are different here but I would be interested see what you consider weird :wink:

7. dzurisova

Alexx, I think your hat on FB is weird! :D :wink:

8. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Sure it is, it is from San Francisco :)

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

10. dzurisova

LOL **insert foot in mouth now** :D

11. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Bank cards works kind of weird in States:

I went to pay for gas with my debit card (yes, when I say debit, I mean debit, I work for the bank who issued it):

Merchant: Credit or debit?
    Me: Debit
    Merchant: Does not work. Credit od debit?
    Me: Probably credit then?
    Merchant: Thanks, here is your bill, have a nice trip.

2nd gas station:

Merchant: Credit or debit?
    Me: Do you want to know the truth, or the way it will work?
    Merchant: [???-look]
    Me: Credit
    Merchant: Thanks, have a nice day.

One would say Visa should work the same no matter what :).

Other thing which was kind of odd... half a gallon (64 fl.oz) cups for soda? Really? We have smaller cups for popcorn here :).

I also thought you americans love your cars. Obviously there is at least some portion (Texans :)) who loves their ladders more ;-):

[​IMG]

12. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Just need to add:

Using "imperial units" in 21st century? C'mon! Why imperial? Implyinig it is british origin? It is not even (at least not all of them) compatible!

Do you guys remember how many feets is to one mile? How many fl.oz. to one cubic feet?

No wonder that Apple with it's weird overpriced stuff is so popular in the US.

OK, shoot, what is odd/weird/different in Europe from US-point-of-view. This phorum need some discussion.

13. dzurisova

What'd you think about the driving? We don't drive crazy here in the States. If you drove like a European, I'm sure you got a lot of evil looks as you cut people off, pulled out in front of them, etc.

That's one of the things I thought was wierd over there. You all drive like freaks. :)

14. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Sure, traffic is more hectic, people tend to drive like crazy sometimes. I always thought, as speed limits are lower in the US, it will take more time to get from place to place. However, it is actualy faster, as when the limit shows 65, it really mean you will be 65 miles away in one hour. That never happens in Europe, unless you are driving at night, or fast and furious style.

15. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

Alexx, I'm not sure why your debit card showed as credit card only but I would guess the reason the gas station clerk asked “debit or credit” was because some people (those paranoid like me :roll: ) prefer to use their debit cards as credit.
    As for driving, OMG as much as I love everything else about Europe I can not stand driving there, I always rather take public transportation or walk. Driving is always the last posible option. With the neverending trafic jams and limited parking it always seems counterproductive, I get there faster just walking.

And to the OP, if she's still around: there is no easy answer, it all depends on what his expectation are and where in the states you will live. However please, whatever you do please do it legaly. And if someone tells you it's imposible then they are full of it! My family has done it and we are “no one special, just plain ordinary people”, yes it took almost 3 years of paper work, but so it should, country should have a right to screen people moving in.

16. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Some Americans forget, that it's recommended to drink two quarts of water a day.

Obviously a redneck. (see http://crossquote.com/funny-crazy-redneck-auto-repair/ for other examples)

17. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

They should be called "sons of the country"... but still everybody calls them rednecks :)