Studying In Czech Republic

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by HarryMan, Dec 27, 2010.

1. HarryMan

HarryMan Member

Ahoj !

Well perhaps firstly you would like alittle backstory as to my relationship with the Czech Republic and why I would like to study there, if not live.

I am very close to my Grandma who is Czech (she moved to England in the 70's) and she is the person who first took me to Prague when I was 13 years old. Everything was so fantastic, the place was so beautiful and the food was so good...So were the women, so this made me think alot about Prague when I was younger.

But while I was in Prague I met some of my relatives who offered to let me stay with them in the Summer, they live in a village near Zlin and me being the humble adventurer agreed. I loved Zlin also, I travled around, especially in Moravia and have been back 3 times all in summer to stay with them. I love the Czech republic very much and would like to think its because there is alittle Czech inside of me which is calling me home.. I dont know what people think about that, but still...

Anyway, I am currently 16 and I desperately want to study in the Czech Republic, but I have only found one dilemma, how do I finance my studies ? I know there are quite a few English people studying in Prague and some in Zlin too (apparently), but I was wondering is it possible for me to get a loan from a Czech bank ?

Ive looked into getting a loan out in England for Czech Republic, but it says it has not been implemented yet and they said to look at scholarships and such, but I am not from Africa or eligable for any of the scholarships, so I wonder if the wise community of MyCzechRepublic can help at all.

Thanks for your time,

Harry.

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Since you are 16, you are probably talking about "střední škola" (high school).

1 - I am not sure if there is any school which is possible to study in english
    2 - I am not sure if you know any czech

State schools are free, but I am not sure if it applies to czechs only, or to all EU citizens. But, most schools have entry-exams, which probably will only be in czech - hence there might be a problem with the above 1 and 2.

Since most students can study for free (and private schools being fairly affordable), I do not think czech banks offer "student loans" (yet).

3. HarryMan

HarryMan Member

Sorry let me add some extra details,

I am looking for universities, because I was advised to look into it a year or so in advance and I become 17 next month. I do not speak Czech, but I am eager to learn, but I am finding troubles finding time because I have to study alot for my German and other A Level studies.

4. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Universities are free for now as well, but the government plans to implement some kind of fee. When it starts (who knows, it may be next year, or even 5 years from now), some loan program is to be implemented as well. But again, I am not sure how this will affect students from EU.

5. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

What major do you want to study Harry?

Also, you could enroll for your bachelor in England and come to Czech for a semester or two as an Erasmus student (Erasmus is an EU wide students exchange programme financed by European Commision).

6. HarryMan

HarryMan Member

Ahoj,

Thank you all for your replies I am very happy people have been trying to help me ! I was worried that no one would reply.

But I would like to study at either

University of Economics, Prague

Or the Anglo - American University, I would like to study Buisness Administration as a major.

I understand that I could do the Erasmus project, but I have heard that quite a few english people study in Prague and I like the idea, as my post above explains.

I know that it will cost alot of money, but I would prefer to study in Prague then in England because especially at this time Universitys are at an all time high with a maximum of £9000 a year in tuition fees alone.

I know that I would have to work and that is no problem at all, if I could get a job in Prague, in the center perhaps in the tourist areas.. But I am seeking to know, can I get any loan out, or anything to help me start off ?

The basic question is to summerise this all up is, how do other foreigners study in Prague since I suppose not all of them are rich.

Yours, Harry.

7. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Perhaps you could start by picking some University in Prague and looking for the Department for foreign students and giving them a call. What about your grandma? Is she around that could help you manage the website if it's in the Czech language? If so, perhaps she could even help with making the initial phone call to get you to the right person that can speak English with you.