Any ideas about jobs?

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by joecc, May 30, 2004.

1. joecc

joecc New Member

Just wondering is it easy to get jobs in Prague? For example working in a coffee shop etc?
    Also what do they pay on average?
    Plus, I don't speak Czech...is this a disaster?

Thanks!
    Joe In Ireland

2. Karel

Karel Well-Known Member

Hi Joe,

A friend of mine used to work in a restaurant called "Pravda" (Parizska ulice/street), and usually brought in about 30 000 - 35 000 CZK a month. He also worked in a steakhouse "El gaucho" (I hope I spelt it right), which was two years after he`d left Pravda, and got home with similar money. He said he`d been working in some of the most lucrative places in Prague at that time, 1997-1999.

I haven`t got the slightest idea of how much you can make in a caffe, but my estimate would be somewhere around 12 000 - 16 000CZK a month. Considering your nationality, though, I suggest you try applying for a job in an Irish pub first. There are an awful lot of them.

Finding a job in Prague certainly takes some time, but much less than in other Czech towns and cities. If there`s something which could prevent you from getting a job it is lack of Czech.

I`m trying to think of a job in Prague in which you could do only wth English. A tour guide? I don`t think that a group of American tourists desire to hear anything in Czech at all. A messenger? Maybe some little Czech is a requirement. Sorry I don`t know, Joe. English teacher? Proofreader?

I hope this is of some interest.

Good luck,

Karel