Cost of living in Czech

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by sully, Jul 8, 2004.

1. sully

sully New Member

Hi all,
    I am new to this forum and would like to work out the cost of living in the Czech Republic (I am moving from the uk), I would be grateful if someone can tell me the cost of:
    Milk
    Bread
    Coke Cans
    Snickers Bar

In local currency
    Thanks

2. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

The delusion that Prague is cheap: it was 10 years ago...but you picked the things that r still cheap!

Bread is a bargain, right up there with beer...big loaf for about 30 kc (depending on what type)

Milk (pint bottle about 15-25 kc)

Coke (2 l. is 28-33 kc)
    Snickers ( who knows, dont eat that shit :}!!!!!

BUT, 8 oz. of peanut butter in carrerfour is 250kcs! About 9 dollars, it costs about 1 dollar in the states...rent is ok, but rising daily...most other things:suits, electroinics, high end gear, etc. r MUCH more expensive here...its a supply and demand thing !

3. judi

judi Active Member

kjp I'm bringing you peanut butter when I got there :)

4. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

of the creamy variety please, none of that chunky stuff :}

5. judi

judi Active Member

kraft smooth, never oily -never dry 8)

6. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

But I long for Skippy! I was buying Jif and at a resonable cost in Delvita, 100 kc for 12 oz. (about 3.85 US) but recently read in the Prague Post that they will discontinue its sale :{
    I have no idea who would buy the no name brand in Carrerfour for 250 kc. for only 8 oz. but it does sell ...

7. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

If you come from UK, you may find interesting the cost of cigarettes - about 60 Kc for a pack.

Coke cans are for some 15 - 20 Kc. The 0,5 litre bottles are more popular, costing about the same.

The Snickers bar costs 10 - 15 Kc (in a shop, not in a stall in the middle of Venceslas sq. of course).

8. does anyone know how much clothes generally cost? i will be about an hour outside of ostrava, so ill probably be shopping in ostrava. is it about the same price is in america or is it cheaper? thanks

hayley

9. judi

judi Active Member

oh yes, I remember skippy, we had that one when we were in croatia... but kraft smooth is nice too, has teddy bear on it :)

10. denisa_j

denisa_j Member

I'm not even sure if they have any peanut butter,do they?
    I talked to my mother who lives in Moravia and she said she can't find any at the store.So I'm sending her some soon.I cannot imagine a life without a peanut butter.
    But food is definitively little expensive for czech standards.

11. denisa_j

denisa_j Member

Ok,
    Clothes will be very expensive and second hand quality!!!!
    I wouldn't shop for clothes unless you go to the better shopping malls-Mark&Spencer,but that will come quite pricy,so get ready for it.I personally prefer shop in states,better quality and cheaper prices than in Czech Republic.
    Every product they get is low quality and rip off.

Good coats....5,000-20,000 Kc
    Jeans.........5,000-8,000Kc
    Shoes(buy only Italian,like Sergio Rossi).....around 4,000Kc
    Do not purchase nothing with Czech Made on it...it is also called
    "Czech Smejd",which means it will probably fall apart within a few months!Seriously!
    Have a nice trip to Ostrava,but don't breath the air too much.....
    Denisa

12. Karel

Karel Well-Known Member

Good heavens, who`s this top quality C-bay, Versace dolled up, Denisa?

Just wondering where you were made, and if you`ve heard of "European trash girls". (Just for you, as a result of skipping the CR, making the US your home, and taking all the credit)

13. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

5 000 for jeans? Oh my, where did you see this?

That "Czech smejd" part really deserves no comment... Half of my clothes is Czech, many of them several years old, and still in great condition.

14. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

I have seen peanut butter (not big-name brands) on occasion, even in smaller cities, like Jihlava. It's not common, and a store that has it one day, often doesn't have it the next. One tip, if you're out there looking, try the refrigerated section (something about the word "butter" makes many Czechs think it needs to be refrigerated :D ).

As for Czech clothes, I've never had any problems with them. They wear just as well as anything I've bought here in the U.S., at least.

15. Karel

Karel Well-Known Member

You know what, Sova? I really can`t recall what the Czech word for "peanut butter" is. Arasidove maslo sounds strange, arasidova pasta sounds equally awful, arasidova pomazanka sounds a bit better, but I`m not quite certain. I`d say that maslo=butter is the tradional butter, which is kept in fridges. In the old days, as I vaguely remember my late granny who was still in the habit of it even after the fridge had been invented, butter was kept in something that looked like a large bowl with cold water in it. For me, as a kid, the butter was more of a boat which I sank from time to time and had a submarine out of the boat for a while :D

The word "margarine" exists in Czech, but the brand name, such as RAMA, is usually used instead. A washing-up liquid brand is also preferred to "prasek na nadobi". Under the communism, there was always JAR, the washing-up liquid brand, which I haven`t parted with yet. Maybe a particular brand of peanut butter is also used in preference to arasidove maslo/whatever it is called. Dunno really.

PS pasta, another false friend. When I gather a few more I`ll post them.
    Karel

16. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

I don't eat peanut butter much but sometimes use it for baking, therefore I remember seeing it in Brno and Prague in the large department store which used to be Prior (in old days), not sure whar it's called now.
    More popular choice is Nuttelo (or something like that), basically same thing but made from hazlenutts.

As for Denisa's statement, I have to say I feel sorry for you dear, if that was really your experience.

When I'm on vacation I usualy don't shop much because I'm too bussy exploring and having fun, but I always somehow end up picking up few outfits here and there. I believe few tops and a blazer in my closet have "made in czech" label on them and I've never had a sigle problem. The color is still the same, no fraying or stretching and they survived the dry cleaning abuse just fine. I dont remember what the cost was, but since when I do shop I always have a calculator handy to convert money I'm sure the price was pretty close to US.

Pet.

17. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Karel,

I have usually seen peanut butter sold under the name "arasidove maslo", although I have seen "arasidova pomazenka" once or twice. Just FYI.

18. Karel

Karel Well-Known Member

Thanks Sova :D

19. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

I concur with Sova, I have seen Peanut butter named as both (which can be misleading)

Disagree on the clothing issue: after years here I have never bought a stich of clothing here, lower quality and much more expensive. I buy all my suits in bulk when I travel back to the states, want to dispute it, lets go shopping on Vaclavak for a suit! 4x's more expesive if you want the same quality. Why do I get the impression that native czechs in the board arent living here and gather their opinions based experiences from years ago ?!!!!

20. Karel

Karel Well-Known Member

Vaclavske namesti is not the place you want to go shopping to, KJP. Shopping on 5th Avenue in NY is also more expensive than anywhere else in NY.

It should suprise no one that most clothing articles are made in China, Taiwan or wherever labour is cheaper to pay. It`s not that long ago when Levi Strauss shut down its plants in the US and Canada. Such examples are numerous, and one would have to be living in a cave not to see it.

There`s also a difference between "made in Czech" and " Czech made". The former is anything made in the CR while the latter has been granted a previlege to use that label as a result of being better than competion. In most cases the tag/sticker should be legitimate.

I was last in the CR 8 months ago, certainly not years ago! Besides, one of best friends runs an online store www.esatna.cz with whom I talk 3 times a week on average.

What we don`t have in the CR as often as you do in the US are the massive sales with prices for a song. Even so, No Best buy or Circuit City can ever match the prices you can get your gizmos for on www.CNET.com

We`re a small, insifignicant country with zero influence on the world. The prices are probably slightly higher than in the US, but one must campare like with like. Vaclavske namesti and GAP 70% off are not to be compared.

As the US economy is not firing on all cylinders, pushing the dollar into an abyss, we could see, ex hypothesi, something to happen in a few years to come.

Just a humble suggestion, if one is really clothes-conscious Italian and French designers will do the trick with the unsatisfactory Czech quality. Not only that you`ll be hip in a fancy Italian suit, but you will not be referred to as "fialovy sako" on NYSE.

Karel