Marrying in Prague

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by KJP, Sep 10, 2004.

1. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

I am an Ukrainian and i am going to get married with an American man in Prague.I would like to get information how to do it the right way.We need to know if we should go to the church or embassey first.Does anybody have any information about this?All input appreciated.

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

If you're looking to get permanent residence status in the U.S. (I seem to remember that Filip said something about wanting to get the heck out of "Dodge"), you might look at a previous topic American in Love - Needs marriage info (if you haven't already) for a start. This discussion was about a Czech marrying an American, but some of the info may be helpful. You may want to contact both the U.S. and Ukrainian embassies (or even the U.S. embassy in Ukraine) to see if the shortened processed described on the above thread is available to you.

As an American married to a Ukrainian woman (we were married here in the U.S., as she already had a legal status here), I know how difficult the whole immigration process can be. We often felt like rats trapped in a maze, wondering if there really was a piece of cheese for us at the end. Here's hoping that your experience will be easier than ours!

3. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

Sova,
    Thanks for the input, we have read that thread, but it really isnt relevant since it speaks about a Czech and American, and as I am sure you know, it is a different ball game when she is Ukranian (this is now Filip speaking) but your situation interests us very much. Might we be able to discuss this further with you via email? If so, could u drop us a line at semtex_8@seznam.cz, we would appreciate it.