Moving to Brno

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by Anonymous, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have a shot at an interesting opportunity in Brno. I was wondering if anyone here has had the experience of moving there from the USA. I realize that I'd have to liquidate most of my stuff, but how much does air freight to the CZR actually cost for the remainder (fairly little, really).
    Also, what current to Czech electric currents operate on? I'm assuming that I might as well not bring my electronics, but I'd like to know if this isn't a correct assumption.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi,
    I have never lived in the Czech Republic, but....My son in law is a citizen of the Czech Republic and he has lived there all of his life (until recently). He tells me that the electric current (house current) in the Czech Republic is 220 AC. You will need a step-down transformer to reduce the electric current in a Czech house from 220AC to 110AC to operate your "American" electronic stuff. (Or else you will FRY and ruin your "American stuff").

Since the plugs in the homes there vary...he says you might want to wait until you arrive (and see the plug style types in the house you are staying in) to buy a transformer.

Hope this helps
    Barb

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

It may be easier to buy new electronics there, especially if you're going to stay for a longer term. The prices might be a little bit higher there than they're in the States but then you wouldn't be risking having your things damaged during transportation. Like Barb said, the electric current is 220 Volts and the plugs are different but you should be able to get a converter for most things. I don't know how expensive it is to have items transported to the Czech Republic.

Good luck!