International LIFE

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by ryanshaw12, Aug 16, 2003.

1. ryanshaw12

ryanshaw12 New Member

So, I am going to marry a Czech girl next summer. I absolutely adore her and the feeling is mutual. I'm American...she's Czech. There are definitely pros and cons to living here vs. there. We want kids and she wants to raise them so I need a good job...but I don't speak Czech (yet) - so America would be better...but she wants to live in Prague and a large part of me does too. But I want my family to have a relationship with my kids...

Our heads are spinning about this. Is it possible to live alternately in each country? Any suggestions on jobs that may facilitate our dual life? When does one know for sure whether they can actually commit to spending their life in another country? I love Prague and I've always loved Europe...but my whole life?

Help...

2. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Ryan,

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! I can relate to your dilemma as I am American and my wife is Czech. I met her while I was living in Prague and we ended up moving to the United States. I know it is not easy to decide where to be based as you two have friends and family on both sides of the Atlantic.

My wife and I would love to be able to split our time between both countries, but we have yet to find a good way to do this. There are definitely both plusses and minuses of living in either country. You will want to be sure you are making an informed decision. If you have not lived in Prague before, I would suggest spending some time there to get to know what life would be like and to find out what the job opportunities would be for someone with your background and skills. One year is supposedly a minimum to go through the several stages of culture shock, so it might be good to spend at least that amount of time before you commit to moving there long term. If you do move there, I think two big factors in making you feel at home will be making friends and learning the language. Not being able to communicate in Czech would probably make you feel quite isolated. Czech is not an easy language, but it can be learned. It just takes the right motivation. Some of my friends in Prague are foreigners who speak Czech.

Just because you choose one country over another does not mean you would be stuck and would have to spend your whole life there.

Good luck with your decision.

Jeff

3. czechless

czechless Member

is this the same Ryan I met on an airplane from JFK to Prague last January? Southern Comfort...let me know

4. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Ryan,

I've been wondering how things are going for you guys. Have you made a decision about where to live?

Dana

5. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

I feel this topic worthy of my 2 cents. I am an American, my fiancee is from the Ukraine. We too want children, but where to live? Bottom line, money ! I will not consider living here further because of the:

a: economy, with a masters and czech skills I earn 40,000 kc per month, about 1500 dollars

b: I have never seen such discrimination against someone as a ukrainian in Prague

Prague is beautiful and a college kids dream, or a single guy like myself, but when you earn as much as a 17 year old working in McDonalds in the states, it time to say hey wait, why did I invest years learning czech and count your losses. When you add a child to the mix, its time to run...

Unemployment hovers around 9%-only second to France right now. With no Czech (or limited) you have a 1% chance of finding work (english teaching or bar work seems to sum up the expat community here)

MANY countries in Europe will employ an educated english only speaker, for it is the international business community language (Germany, Netherlands, obviously the UK) but here, it is simply not possible, thus I was forced to learn a langauge that is useless everywhere else in the world and is slated not to exist within the next 50 years (council on languages estimation). Do the kid a favor, stay in the land of the free, for as I look out my window, I am watching the police take CASH from each driver they pull over...then they smile and divide it up, pathetic and not for my kid to live in. WHY? I dont have to :}

Snide, rude, etc.

Maybe, but the truth...not a career move to come here, a time loss at best. Add a family and it becomes abusive in light of the fact that you too have a choice...best of luck to you and her and junior:}

6. Celine

Celine New Member

Hi Filip

I just want to tell something about what you said about unemployment rate. You said "Unemployment hovers around 9%-only second to France right now". You mean France is first between only France and Czech Republic, that's what you meant ?
    According to OECD (July 2004) unemployement rates in European Union are :
    Poland - 18,9%
    Slovakia - 16,4%
    Spain - 11,1%
    Greece - 10,3%
    Germany - 9,8%
    France - 9,4%
    Czech Republic - 8,4%
    That's it...

Celine

7. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

Interesting because yesterday on EuroNews they stated that France had the highest. But yes, as even those stats state, Czech is around 9% now,which is VERY high...see this weeks Prague Post for an article...