moving back to the CR?

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by r16ka, Oct 26, 2007.

1. r16ka

r16ka New Member

I have been living in Canada for a while now and before in another country. I've been gone for over 16 years altogether.
    I am considering moving back to the Czech Republic.
    Is here anyone who recently moved to the CR from North America and is Czech?
    What do you think, whats the worst for you and the best? How do you like it?
    I love Canada but just miss my family too much:-(
    Thanks for all your input.

2. dtl

dtl New Member

Hi, this is not exactly a reply but I'd like to join in that question.
    I've been living in Australia for the last 23 years ,am a pianist and a music teacher and have an Australian husband (free lance business consultant who doesn't speak a word of Czech,) and 2 boys aged 15 and 20.
    We are considering to move to Czech Rep.because my parents who live near Prague are getting to ill to be by themselves.
    I was wondering what do people think of work opportunities and schooling in Czechland .
    My older son is studying biological science at university in Melbourne and the younger one has a full scholarship at a local private college and is crazy about volleyball.
    Is it a mad idea ?
    Any ideas welcome.

3. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

If one doesn't speak Czech, the job opportunities will of course be limited. If your husband is a free-lance business consultant, however, I'm guessing it would be more a matter of finding clients, particularly ones that speak English. I can't speak for how difficult that might be. At some level, perhaps, he might continue working with his clients in Australia via phone/internet, at least until he builds a client base in the Czech Republic. As for you, as a native Czech and music teacher, I don't suppose it should be too hard to find work.

Are your boys thinking to go the the Czech Republic, too? If so, transferring college credit for your older boy may be difficult to impossible, as most colleges in the Czech Republic have their own distinct curriculum (of course, you probably already know this). For the younger, volleyball, sad but true, is not very popular among Czechs (I'm nuts about volleyball myself, and never did find a decent pickup game over there).

The universities, in general, in the Czech Republic are on a par with most US (and I'd assume, Australia) universities. Of course, not all universities are created equal, in the Czech Republic or elsewhere.