Driving in Czech Republic

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by Sisibel, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Sisibel

Sisibel Member

Hello,

I would like to know if there is a driver's manual or reference guide in english that includes the traffic/road signs and their meaning.

I think that are the same signs that the other european countries, but we are americans and the signs are differents!

thanks... :D

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I found good web about it, but it is in czech only:

http://www.zakruta.cz/dopravni-znaceni/

So, look at them, and just post a code or link of those you do not know, and we will try to explain you.

3. Sisibel

Sisibel Member

thank you! :D

i will look at them, and if i need your help i will post my question :)

4. eso

eso Well-Known Member

5. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

There are some signs I have never seen on the road:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And some are VERY rare.

6. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I like the second one - "you are about to run into a stack of lumber" :wink:

Never would have guessed mlha (fog).

7. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

I wonder what is the triangular sign - "Atention teleport"?

8. eso

eso Well-Known Member

How Glen correctly wrote, it means:
    Warning - Frequent fog ahead.

9. pacific

pacific Member

Is it necessary to have an international or Czech driver's license? Or does Czech police acknowledge American drivers licenses?

10. jen

jen Well-Known Member

If you have permanent residence (trvaly pobyt) you are required to get a Czech license. Americans cannot just exchange their license for a Czech one.

If you have any other visa, you can get by with your American license PLUS the international license (available from any AAA branch in the US, or by mail - costs $10). But technically you can't get by with just your American license.

11. pacific

pacific Member

Thanks for the info, Jen. Very helpful. I did the research on the International Driving Permit. Apparently one can send away for it from abroad through AAA. The fee is now $15. More info can be found on any DMV (Dept. of Motor Vehicles) or AAA website.