Looking to buy 401 Czech Verbs

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by Sigma, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

I'm trying to find a few Czech websites which sell this book on-line. Does anyone know where I can find it?

Nevermind, I just found a website....

http://www.shakes.cz/

The book is on its way. :D

2. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Enjoy! It's a very good book, if you ignore the front section. It gives 'idiot's guide' pronunciations for everything. If you need to know how to pronounce Czech, you won't be up to using this book!

3. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

The book has been a great addition to my 'Czech language' library. :D

4. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

This might be a good thread to ask a related question:

How easy is it to buy text books for learning Czech in CZ?

They don't necessarily have to include English explanations, if they're for people of any first language that's fine by me, but it'll need very basic levels (A1 and A2) to start off with!

Can anyone recommend particular titles?

The schools I am going to work for will probably be able to help me, but I am curious to hear everyones experiences and recommendations.

5. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

You should be able to find some text books without any problems in many of the book stores. They can be quite expensive though...

6. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

How expensive is quite expensive?

I read somewhere that books and electronics are about the same in CZ as they are here, which is scary when you consider the wages are smaller!

Minimum wage here is €8.50 an hour and a novel costs €12 new, but text books for adults are usually about €30 to €40, even second hand!

I will be earning a Czech wage, so I need to learn to think of things in Czech terms, and not buy something because if I was at home it would be a bargain! Text books are an important thing though, and worth spending savings on, I suppose that's why they're so expensive!

Other Prices:

Rent of a single room in a house is €65 - €80 a week depending on whether you are in a city or a town.

A weeks food shopping for one person is about €40

Then of course there is electricity and all that..

We are lucky I think, even with a minimum wage job you can save up if you work hard and eventually get a mortgage, buy your own house (A three bedroom house in a suburb is about €500,000) , and pay off the mortgage before you are a pensioner. There are some countries where it takes 3 generations of hard work before the family owns their house!