Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by Radka, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Radka

Radka New Member

I have a 1 yr old daughter and am hoping she will be bilingual. She ignores TV except Sesame Street in English. My husband does not speak Czech and my family lives far away. I am her only exposure to Czech and would love some help. I am looking for the Sesame Street dubbed in Czech. I know it exists, but am having trouble finding it to purchase or download. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on resources/links that I could try?

Thanks!

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

The only help I can give, is its czech name: "Sezame, otevři se!", but you probably know it.

3. jen

jen Well-Known Member

I looked to see if they broadcast on the internet on the CT website, but it seems that they don't (big hole in the tv guide for the time that it shoudl be on)...no go on youtube either...I think your only chance will be to get someone to tape it for you...if I had a DVD recorder, I'd offer, but alas I don't :(

4. McCracken

McCracken Well-Known Member

It is strange that in most other languages the translation is pretty much "Sesame Street". I would have expected something like "Sesame ulice" in Czech.

Isn't "Sezame, otevři se!" more like "Open, Sesame!" from Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves in 1001 Arabian Nights?

Any ideas why the show was so named in Czech?

I would love to hear Oscar the Grouch speak in Czech :) !

5. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

or the Cookie Monster :wink:

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Here you can see that not in all countries it's translated as Sesame street.

Also, there is "Open sesame", which is show with excerpts of original show: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Sesame

Maybe it's because sesame isn't so frequent in Czech cuisine?

7. McCracken

McCracken Well-Known Member

I used the same source - that's why I said "most", not "all" :wink:

Sesame is not used for cooking much in England either (at least I don't think so) but then the title didn't need translating over here.

I was a bit old for Sesame Street but I have a much younger sister - what a great excuse that was :) !

8. pacific

pacific Member

There is also Bob the Builder. The Czech version is called "Bořek stavitel" and there are a bunch of episodes on youtube.