Importing autos from USA?

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by Boomer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Boomer

Boomer Member

Does anyone have experience with this? When I lived in NZ (right-hand steer) it was not cost effective... but am considering bringing over a newer USA SUV, as when I see the prices on CZ auto websites, it's 2-3-4 times the actual cost of the auto.... Also wondering which ocean-port would be best?

Having done this (east) before, I know the process is painful... but... to save (or potentially make) some $$, is it worth it?

Anyone have links to depts. or ministries that control all this? Pros/cons?

Thanks in advance....

Boomer :)

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

I can't answer your question about importing cars, but I can say that if you plan trips outside of Prague, many of the minor roads are rather narrow by US standards, so be aware of that when making a decision about bringing a US SUV. Also, the price of gasoline is approx. $8+ per gallon. :?

3. Boomer

Boomer Member

Thanks Sova-

I haven't decided just yet... Maybe I'll bring a smaller one (like Honda/Nissan) I know that's still "big" by Euro standards... but plan on going to Switzerland allot to ski - How are the roads from Prague thru Austria over to Switzerland? FWIW petrol is almost $5 here now :-(

Thanks,

B

4. Suniskys

Suniskys Active Member

I know my dad looked into it about 4 years ago. It was from Canada though. He decied that it wasn't cost effective and ended up buying a Honda SUV there.

5. Sam

Sam Active Member

It's definitely cost effective, especially if you own the car for 6 months or outside CZ first and then own it for 12m when in CZ, as you will not have to pay duty. If you sell it before 12m you have to pay the duty.
    We shipped our car, a Ford Escape from Dubai when we moved, the shipping was to Rotterdam and the deal with shipping company included delivery to Brno, the container came from Rotterdam by train to Prague then on truck to Brno. It's not a difficult process if you apply yourself to it. There's even a company here (Denker) that offers a service whereby you can choose the car on eBay US and they take care of everything for you, see: www.denker.cz. Of course as you're in US now it'll be cheaper to do it yourself!
    Good luck

6. Boomer

Boomer Member

:D Excellent excellent excellent news and info Sam! Many thanks for the link and advice....! I even see "my car" on the Denker site, and is 4x more than I paid :)

7. Sam

Sam Active Member

Glad to be of help. Regarding the owning of the car for 6 months outside CZ, as long as it's registered in your name and you have an invoice that's dated more than 6 months previously, it's enough proof!!