Farewell to the 50 heller piece!

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by Polednikova, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

If you've a jar of them hidden away somewhere, you've got less than six hours to spend them in the shops!

2. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

They are doing away with the Heller?
    Is that similar to an american penny? A one hundreth of a certain denomination?
    There was talk awhile back here of doing away with the penny.

3. Polednikova

The only heller coin left, until midnight tonight, is the 50, although lots of goods are still priced at, say, 16.90kč a kilo. And I'm still never quite sure whether they round down or up!

4. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

What? There are no longer gonna be padesátníky? I did not know that. Thanks for the information.

5. Polednikova

You've certainly got your finger on the pulse, haven't you? :wink: It was announced last year:

http://www.cnb.cz/en/public/media_servi ... eller.html

And another one to leave the Czech Republic. :shock: How long are you in America for? A lot seems to have happened while my internet connection was down!

6. gementricxs

It's good thing we're not gonna have padesatniky, they just take up space in the wallet and no one uses them, at least I do not.

Out of topic: Anyone have any info on american pennies? It also fills up wallet really quickly and is practically unusable, I only use them in self cashiers, where there isn't a line of people waiting as in normal cashiers.

And about the rounding: When 10s and 20s were discontinued I remember that Tesco used to round them down and last time I went there it got rounded up!!

--
    I'm in the States just for the summer - June to October

7. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

US pennies are here to stay; at least for now. Lots of places price their products like $4.99 to make people thing they are a getting a better deal than if it was $5.00
    It's psychological. :lol:

8. gementricxs

Well, we no longer have 10 and 20 heller coins and still products are priced az 5.90, 5.80, 5.70, ... and then the total of the bill is rounded up.

9. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

most men don't place change in the wallet here in the States. They either throw it in their pockets and then into a jar in the bedroom to take to the bank later (banks have counting machines they dump the change into and tell you how much it was and deposit it into your account or give you dollars) or they have a place in the car they throw the change into and use it at drive through places like McDonalds or work vending machines. :)

Ladies here usually have a change purse inside their purse. They also mostly use change at McDonalds or work vending machines.

10. wer

wer Well-Known Member

That's so familiar, I'm going to take my jar of 50 heller pieces to the bank tomorrow. It is for free in Komerční banka.

11. gementricxs

Yeah, exactly, I was just looking at some wallets in Walmart and none of them had place for change. All the wallets I've seen in CZ do have a place for change.

12. Ktot

Ktot Well-Known Member

After one week in the Czech Republic, I'd only come across one 50 heller coin, and finally asked a Czech friend what coin amounts existed, because I was baffled by prices in stores saying things like 4.90Kc when I was pretty sure that change didn't exist. Slightly ironically, that conversation happened to be on the last day for the heller. So I will keep the one and only 50 heller peice I came across or probably ever will!

13. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

So, does this mean that all my old heller pieces that I still have lying around my house may soon be worth something (e.g. to collectors)? :lol:

14. Ktot

Ktot Well-Known Member

Hah! :D I'm going to venture the guess of not for a very, very long time! (Hint: are the 10 and 20 heller peices worth anything?)

I just like collecting foreign money, but I'd never pay for it (well, I guess it inherently costs you something not to spend it, so I only keep small amounts.) And for that reason alone, I was somewhat disappointed when the Euro came into being. (Heh, will my lira, schillings, and francs ever be worth anything?)

Canadian money though I don't. There are Canadian coins that look rather like U.S. pennies and quarters that occassionally end up in circulation and into my wallet, so the novelty is gone there...I usually give such change to a Canadian friend, who can actually use it when he visits relatives.