Living in Ústí nad Labem

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by martyhol, Sep 12, 2008.

1. martyhol

martyhol New Member

Hi, I will be moving to Ústí nad Labem in late October for University and would love to hear from anybody in the area. Anything you think that I should know about the city, what things in particular I should go out of my way to see, et cetera? I'm sure there are plenty of things I could ask, but my mind's at a complete blank today. Sorry. I'm sure if you hurl information at me I will respond graciously... and with myriad further questions!

:D

2. martyhol

martyhol New Member

Well, I'm here now... and anybody complaining about the place clearly hasn't lived in the West Midlands. Efficient public transport, decent - if not necessarily traditionally 'Czech' - food (have enjoyed some excellent salads, schnitzels, fajitas and pizzas thus far...), friendly students who are fluent in English and put my Czech to shame, and an abundance of beautiful, beautiful girls... it's a far cry from Cannock, that's for sure. Maybe my standards are just a tad low. Either way, I'm definitely a fan.

Anybody else living in the Ústí nad Labem area?

3. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

I'm glad you're liking it there!

I'm on the other side of the country I'm afraid.. and Insanely jealous that you're so close to Dresden and Leipzig!

4. hribecek

hribecek Well-Known Member

Hi
    I agree with you that Usti is nowhere near as bad as Czechs make out. By thier standards I suppose it's not that great but compared to a lot of places in England it's quite nice - hills around it for cycling, walking and skiing, castle, a good zoo (apparently), a river, great beer, a hockey team, easy access to Dresden and Prague and some nice towns nearby - Litomerice (where I lived for 2 years), Louny, Decin, Liberec.
    If you like walking then I think that area is a great place to live cuz the Ceske stredohori are not too big to knacker you out too much but big enough to have many great walks for everybody.
    Seems that nobody in this forum lives near Usti, as I said, I lived in Litomerice (10 miles away) for 2 years but now I'm back in England. I intend to move back out there next September though.
    Good luck there, how's your Czech coming along now?

5. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

And I'm afraid that I'm not even likely to be planning a visit very soon - now that Ústí's hockey team are no longer in the Extraliga! :wink:

But I'm glad you're enjoying it. Cannock's not somewhere I know very well but it's in the UK, therefore most places in the Czech Republic are likely to beat it hands down! :lol: