As an Expat, what jobdo you do? What can I do?

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by BMoody, Nov 24, 2008.

1. BMoody

BMoody Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Well, I just might be making the full on transition and move to Melnik, Czech Republic in under a year. The amount of loans I need to keep studying law here in England are vastly more than I anticipated. I don't want to be stuck in the UK for years to pay off the loans just when I want to be starting my family in the Czech Rep.

So, what job prospects do I have with this as my education...

1. BA in History / minor in American Business Law
    2. LLB (English Law Degree) (not enough to practice as a solicitor/attorney. Would need LPC too + 2 years traineeship.)

and, this as experience...

1. 1 year as land management/ planner intern in Las Vegas.
    2. 1 year teaching English as a second language students in history and English.
    3. About one year regular retail experience.

and, basic German and Czech as foreign languages.

I'm finding my prospects rather bleak. I had intended to come to the CR years later as a US/UK attorney, but I think it would take me 6 years from now to safely move financially. I'm smart and a quick learner. I feel like I could do anything! If only I spoke Czech... aww well.

Any input on companies hiring people of my talents? What did you other expats do even if it doesn't fit my situation? Basically, how do we foreigners survive beyond the one year at Charles University? :?

2. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

Well I'm teaching English, and what I make in a month here wouldn't last a week in Ireland. It's very depressing when I think about how hard I work when I can't save and my money will go up in smoke when I go home.

I would like the job if I had more time to prepare and to do it properly, but I'
    m always in a rush, and I really need time to get things right, especially as it is my first year of teaching. Any extra hours on top of food and rent money are just working for nothing. I wish I could work less and have more free time to enjoy being in the Czech Republic.

Anyway you'd probably make a bit more than me, ESP and all, I dunno about paying off student loans with it though!

3. BMoody

BMoody Well-Known Member

Yea... especially since my student loans will be anywhere from $500-1000 a month! I will have a dual income with my wife at least :-]. From what I've heard, most English teaching jobs pay at the most 1,300 a month. I would love to teach English! But the pay... :roll:

4. Ctyri koruny

I heard that in Prauge it's 30,000 crowns before tax, if you're experienced.. which you are!
    I'm not making anywhere near that of course. But fortunately I just need to pay for food and rent for myself.. so I'm quite comfortable.

5. BMoody

BMoody Well-Known Member

30,000 kc? Not bad. I mean, at 100,000 in debt (the most I plan to be), I'd only pay at most 1,200 a month for 10 years.

I'd have a dual income with my wife too... hmmm... I'm thinking I will stay in London. Now the debt isn't seeming such a big deterent to jumping to the CR later. Alright, time to get educated. :-]

6. Boomer

Boomer Member

It's been almost 6 months since you asked this... as I'm in a similar boat... Can I ask what you did? or are you still in the UK or Vegas??

To the poster before, that said a teacher can make 30,000CZK/mo - do you know "where" they are paying that? Is that at one of the schools, or uni's? or is that combined with private lessons etc?

What is average for a "newer" teacher (if you know)-

Thanks -

Boomer

7. Ctyri koruny

On Daves ESL cafe web boards some of the experienced teachers told me that's what they were making, however they're mostly working freelance as opposed to with schools, and they have to travel around to a lot of companies. It's real hard work, I like it better having a school building to come into every morning.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewforum.php?f=15

I hope people don't mind me linking to that website, I don't see it as being in competition with this one as it is specifically about English Teaching and not much else.

Also it takes like 3 days to register there.. very frustrating.

8. Boomer

Boomer Member

Thanks for the answers... That is what I had heard too - that you have to work private (freelance) and allot to make just that much... so thanks for the confirmation.

Sounds like you need a holiday!!! :)

As to the links, I don't think it would be a problem, as many ESL teachers use that site and is very well-known... or hope it's not a problem, as we're all just trying to help each other here...

Anyway, thanks for the advice!

Ahoj,

B

9. BMoody

BMoody Well-Known Member

I didn't end up going to the CR to work.. though I've spent a month there and will be there for another 2 months before going back to Vegas.

I do have a cousin the CR right now though working as an English teacher without a company (He has an entertainment visa for music). He makes 40,000 Kc a month... he developed law firm English teaching contracts. His rent is only 12,000 kc a month in Prague with a nice apartment. Not too shabby I'd say.

10. Ctyri koruny

Not too shabby at all!

I could actually save money for my future with a wage like that! Imagine! hee hee

11. ksmigiel

ksmigiel Member

Maybe you can think of your own business in the Czech Rep. Otherwise I would consider other country to live and work in. For example Holland.