Last name

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by visliselds, Apr 20, 2011.

1. visliselds

visliselds New Member

I've been told that my last name is Czech. I cannot find anything on the internet about the name. It is "Vislisel" but have been told that it may have switched from "Vyslysel" is this a Czech name? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Hi, Vyslyšel is definatelly a czech surname, not very common though.

Phonebook like http://seznam.1188.cz/s?q=Vysly%C5%A1el&x=81&y=11 gives you two answers, however most people canceled landlines between 2000 and 2010 and mobile phone numbers are not registered in public phone books.

"Vyslyšel" is 3rd pers. sing. past tense from the inf. "Vyslyšet", which means "hear out someone and do something that someone said". There is other verb, "vyslechnout" which means just "hear out".

Like in "President Asad vyslyšel hlas lidu a zrušil vyjímečný stav" (President Asad heard out the voice of people and canceled the state of emergency).

3. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

More precisely, vyslyšel is the past participle, not the past tense itself. There are about 25 people with this surname in the CR.

The verb vyslyšeti is often used in a religious context:

Bůh vyslyšel naše modlitby. = God heard out (and fulfill) our prayers.

4. visliselds

visliselds New Member

Thank you. It's very hard to try and find information, but I appreciate any help I can get. I cannot wait to come to the CR.