Serching for my roots

Share information, resources and strategies related to genealogical research.

Moderators: Sova, gementricxs, My Czech Republic

Karel Fous

Postby Karel Fous » 15-Mar-05 20:01

Sova,
My experience is different. Majority of original Jewish registries was punished through gestapo order at the end of WWII. The copies, which had to be made in 19. century, was announced as original after war, but the records are not complete. And as opposed to Christian registry, which finished (started) at first half of 17. century, the Jewish ones finished (started) at year 1784 (but records before 1800 are rare).
Karel
Viktor

Postby Viktor » 16-Mar-05 10:04

Sova:

No offence taken. I was just rying to point out, that Jew used as a noun tends to be interpreted as a derogatory biggoted racist remark, much like:

n***er, wet bag, slope head, mick etc....

Most polite society prefers to use ,even if they do not mean it,

african decent, latino, asian, irish etc...

Many years ago in Chicago, Czechs did not apprecite being called those Bohanks from Berwin-- and we did not like this derrogatory reference-- after a few broken heads, we earned the respect of being called Czechs.

Now does't Jewish sound much better than a Jew! It means the same, but one form is less intrusive than the other? In Czech;

"ten jid is also viewd as offensive, that is why we use jidofskeho povodu"

Get the point?

Remenber the sign: "ein jude und ein swin darf hir nicht hinein!"

Jude/ Jido/Jew leaves me with a bad taste, even 60 years later,

I rather be called a SOB, but prefer Viktor
Viktor

Postby Viktor » 16-Mar-05 10:15

Sova.

This is interesting, my last posting was "propery" edited -- n**r -- that means you know the "difference!

Why not then do the same with -- J*w --

Since both words are slurs! Why then "block out " one and not the other. Just trying to be fair... The same code can do both

See my point, this is not rocket science now(and you are a phycisit) is it?

Viktor
Sova

Postby Sova » 16-Mar-05 21:54

Perhaps I'm showing my age, but I've never heard the noun J*w (blocked out for your benefit) used as a slur in a noun sense. I have, however, heard the noun used in a derogatory way as a verb or an adjective, and had just never heard any extrapolatation of such usage to the word in general. For my own benefit, I just looked up the word on dictionary.com and found this:
Usage Note: It is widely recognized that the attributive use of the noun Jew, in phrases such as Jew lawyer or Jew ethics, is both vulgar and highly offensive. In such contexts Jewish is the only acceptable possibility. Some people, however, have become so wary of this construction that they have extended the stigma to any use of Jew as a noun, a practice that carries risks of its own. In a sentence such as There are now several Jews on the council, which is unobjectionable, the substitution of a circumlocution like Jewish people or persons of Jewish background may in itself cause offense for seeming to imply that Jew has a negative connotation when used as a noun.

Hmmm... I had always thought that was the correct expression. Then again, having grown up in the South, I never was much into political correctness and keeping up with politically correct terminology. It's not that I'm disrespectful, it's just that when I say such a word as J*w, I mean it in the dictionary sense, no disrespect intended.

No, political correctness isn't rocket science. But then again, it's not an exact science, either. Also, it changes all too quickly.

BTW, I wasn't the one, who edited your post--must have been another moderator.

P.S. It was also interesting that Merriam-Webster Online does not mention any vulgar meaning for the word.
Sova

Postby Sova » 16-Mar-05 22:00

Karel,

Your point is well-taken. When I meant that those who are of "židovského původu" keep their ancestry better, I meant generally. I hadn't taken into account the Nazi occupation and its effect on such records in the Czech Republic. In the U.S., of course, there were no such effects of WWII on the records kept here. Thanks for correcting me.
Viktor

Postby Viktor » 16-Mar-05 22:21

Sova:

Due to the fact, that you were raised in the south, I'll understand. Since the words n***er & Jew are part of your every day vocabulary.

Furthermore, asside from your dictionary, you perhas could also consult
all the readilly available Neo-Nazi literature, ans I'l assure you'll run across literature that the Holocoust never actualy took place.

Finally, the "editig"of n***r was not done by ANY moderator --since the act was instanteneous. This is part of the forums software--
oderators are good, but not at the speed of light!

End of subject, for we are quite a ways from the topic!

Viktor
Sista Kay

Postby Sista Kay » 11-Aug-08 2:11

Dear Viktor,

any news regarding your search for your father?

Anyway I have Hrdonkas in my tree.

The data I have so far,

Ondrej Hrdonka (*appr.1795, in Bukova near Pribram,CZ
married Eva Bohuslav (of Ptenin)
with daughter Katerina (my fourth grandmother)
and son named Josef ( *appr. 1824)
married Maria Lischka 1849.

Also call it fate I´ve got some scans of old registers by mail today from my mom who is in touch with some Hrdonkas.

They name three different families.

1.) Josef Hrdonka (*1872 in Zemetice, Prestice near Pilsen)
married Anna Chatkova in 1872
- daughter Marie (*1907)

2.) Josef Hrdonka (*1844 in Vojtesice, Prestice)
married Maria Hahnel or Hankova
- daughter Josefa (*1874), stillborn (1879), son Alois (*1881)
- moved to Prague in 1904

3.) Venzl Hrdonka (*1856 in Bukova, Prestice)
married Katharina ? (*1861)
- Marie (*1891)
- Franz (*1893)
- Karl (*1895)
- Josef (*1900)
- the entry by the 9th of July 1901 says they were citizens
of Bubenec #162, which is a part of Prague.

I hope I was helpfull and maybe we're somehow related.

Yours Katerina