Nerad/Anderly

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by ban310, Nov 16, 2005.

1. ban310

ban310 Member

Hi I'm an American living in Chicago. My father's side of the family is Czech/German. I was wondering if there were any Nerad's (Grandfather) or Anderly's (Grandmother).

Also, I've heard a few meanings associated with the name Nerad. Does anyone know where the name comes from, means?

2. Karel Fous

Karel Fous Well-Known Member

Hallo Brett,
    Name Nerad compound of word rád (like) and particle ne (no). Name Nerad means "someone who doesn't like something". Women's variant is Neradová. Name is pretty common, at Bohemia I found dozens of names at http://phone.quick.cz/index.php?fce=0. By regions: Praha 106 (male) / 43 (female), Jihocesky (south Bohemia) 12 / 4, Karlovarsky 7 / 2, Kralovohradecky 7 / 3, Liberecky 16 / 6, Pardubicky 12 / 4, Plzensky 7 / 2, Stredocesky (central Bohemia) 86 / 32, Ustecky 17 / 7.
    At year 1653 there were 10 holders of name Nerad mainly from area south from Prague (Praha) - near towns Votice, Vlašim, Pacov and Počátky.

Name Anderly looks like hungarian. Or there must be a mistake with transcription.
    Regards
    Karel :)

3. ban310

ban310 Member

Wow, thanks for such a detailed reply. The translation you give is close to what I've heard. I've also heard it can mean "little trouble-maker."

But, just looking back on my father's side of the family, I can see where your translation would fit better. :)

Does it literally mean, "Someone who doesn't like something," or does it carry a different connotation like, someone who is picky or bad tempered?

4. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

"little trouble-maker" == "neřád" ;) (yes, your surname can be also "Neřád").

5. Karel Fous

Hard to say :roll: , it could be both picky and bad tempered. The main, what cross my mind at the first moment, is "I don't like it. I don't like this. I don't like, I don't like...", whatever it could mean. And it could mean both sense mentioned above. But I think, that slightly closer is the sense to "picky". We have also name Neruda (famous poet of 19.century) which definitely means bad tempered.
    So, I am tending to opinion that more precise is picky... :roll:
    Name Neřád it could be also right, but you have to check the old data and papers. At that moment no name Neřád is occuring at phone directory in the same regions as I write yesterday. Note, that word neřád has conotation as invective or abuse.
    Regards
    Karel :)

6. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

The surname Neřád - 14x, Neřádová - 18x occurs in the Register of the Czech citizens.

7. Karel Fous

Maybe they have no telephone. :lol:

8. adt499

adt499 New Member

My Great Granddad was from Bohemia and I found out that my name was originally spelled Andrle. It is rumored that my Grandfather and his brother changed the name to Anderly. This may be the case with you.

9. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

There is one Nerad listed in the white pages of Chicago by the name of August Nerad. Perhaps you are related. There are 160 listed in the USA under Yahoo People Search. That's not much for such a big country. :?

I see that you are into screenwriting and film. Have you checked out http://www.catvusa.com/

They are based in Chicago. The producer is a very nice gentleman (but talks a lot :lol: ). They are always looking for volunteers. Perhaps you could contact him by email or phone and volunteer. It may be able to serve as an internship for you as well since I see you are a student. They even have some duties that could generate an income. Either way, it's a suggested way to stick to your interests as well as your heritage. :)

Welcome to the board.