Illinois Czech's

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by kpointer, Mar 5, 2007.

1. kpointer

kpointer Member

I am looking for anyone in Illinois that has knowledge of where I can find out about the Czech culture in this area. (Mostly in the south suburban area of Chicago)

2. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

T G Masaryk Czech School
    5701 W 22nd Pl
    Cicero, IL
    (708) 656-9810

3. JoeZ

JoeZ Member

I live in the southern suburbs and there is nothing in the way of Czech culture to see or do, however, there are a lot of Czechs living in the southern suburbs.

Most of the Bohemian restaurants are in the Berwyn area and farther west. We had a Bohemian restaurant at the intersection of 159th and Harlem in Tinley Park but it is now gone.

Are you interested in genealogy? If so, check CSAGSI at www.csagsi.org

Joe Zima

4. pohodapokoj

pohodapokoj Member

I find this intriguing that so many would live in the southern suburbs but there would be little Czech culture to see or do. Why is this the case? Are these older generations perhaps?

5. JoeZ

JoeZ Member

I think the younger generation has become too Americanized and most are not interested in doing anything Czech. The older ones, such as myself, are willing to travel from the southern suburbs to the western suburbs for something Czech.

6. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Perhaps the younger ones drive 1 1/2 hours to Michigan because we sure have a lot of here on the weekends all summer long. :D Joe, are you aware of the "czech beach" in Union Pier Michigan? It's filled with young Czechs from Chicago.