Benysek Relatives

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by Ron Benishek, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Ron Benishek

Ron Benishek New Member

Looking for relatives or information on Benysek (changed to Benishek) when immigrated to USA. Info I have is Vaclav Benysek born: Aug 24, 1859 Cetoraz City, Tabor County, Czechoslovakia. He married Barbara Matous. They came to USA in 1884. Appreciate any information.

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Probably the original surname was Benýšek/Benýšková (about 200 Czechs living currently in the Czech Republic have this surname). Note the š is a "sh" sound, so the name change merely represents a more accurate phonetic transliteration in English). Note there is also a Beníšek surname as well, which is about twice as common, and also uncommon "Germanified" versions Beníschek/Benischek. The phone book lists one Benýšek nearby in Nová Cerekev, and one more in Pelhřimov. Matouš/Matoušková is a fairly common surname. There are a few by that surname in Černýšovice, Soběslav, and Vesce all to the south or southwest of Tábor.

3. marybender

marybender New Member

I'm looking for info in general on that line as well. Vaclav & Barbara were my great grandparents. I'm originally from upstate NY where my grandparents, Albert & Marguerite Benishek, lived.

These alternate name spellings are very useful.

I have a bit of info on Vaclav & Barbara's children, but not much else and would love to be able to discover any other information. Thanks!