Yankovic - Yankovich - Jankovic

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by jyankovic, Jun 20, 2007.

1. jyankovic

jyankovic New Member

Looking for those who may still live in the Czech republic or in the USA. Family immigrated to US between 1900 and 1920. Lived in Belair OH. Paul Yankovich. had a son Paul Yankovich jr. He dropped the "H" during WWII. Moved to castle shannon, pa (pittsburgh) in the 1950's and remained there until his death in 2006. Paul yankovic jr was borin in 1919. his son, my father is Keith Yankovic of Pittsburgh, PA. I am the third generation to born in the US. Trying to retrace my families past. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (wish i would have done this before my grandfather got ill)

2. wer

wer Well-Known Member

That is not very specific. :(

According to official statistics, in the Czech Republic there are 311 males called Jankovič and 5 males called Janković.

The name sounds rather Slovak, Polish or South Slavic (actually, it is one of the most frequent South Slavic names). Are you sure of the Czech origin?

3. jyankovic

jyankovic New Member

all i know is that we are frome czechoslovakia... not sure which part to be honest. its hard to find out now since everyone has passed on.

4. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Well, Czechoslovakia wasn't established until 1918.

5. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

"Weird Al" Yankovic is apparently of Serbian descent. But that probably has no relevance to your particular search.

6. jessicaday77

jessicaday77 Member

Hello,
    You responded to me and now I thought I might be of some help to you. I am Czech and Slovak. Part of my Slovak ancestry includes the Yanchovic family. Hope it helps. My great grandmother was Mary Yachovic Sadlon. Let me know if she becomes part of your search.

Good Luck,
    Jessica
    :)

7. jessicaday77

jessicaday77 Member

you may also want to try searching the ellis island website. ellisisland.org