I need help.

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by militaryspouse, Feb 1, 2008.

1. militaryspouse

militaryspouse Active Member

I want to find info on my Great Great granfather and his father Not sure if he emigrated. But this is what I have

Charles KABELÁC 06 Jun 1859 Hermanuv Mestec, East Bohemia, Czech Republic

Any suggestions?

Is Hermanuv Mestec the villiage?

2. jen

jen Well-Known Member

Yes, it is - just outside of Chrudim, near Pardubice. Try this:

http://tinyurl.com/264toa

www.mapy.cz is a nice little mapping site. On the right side, you'll see a list of links of institutions and things in the area, and one of them is the town hall. When you hover over it, you'll get a pop-up window with info about the town hall (address, hours of operation, etc)

3. wer

wer Well-Known Member

First, don’t make the locals in Heřmanův Městec (colloquially “Heřmaňák”, in German “Hermannstädtel”) angry by calling their town a village.

And second, somebody else (Or was it you under an alternative nick, militaryspouse?) asked for the very same person (“Karel” is Czech form of the name “Charles”) a month ago – see this thread.

4. jen

jen Well-Known Member

It was actually a year ago, wer :)

5. wer

wer Well-Known Member

:?: 22-Dec-07 0:43

6. jen

jen Well-Known Member

OOPS! sorry, I was looking at the date she registered.... :oops: Apologies.....

7. militaryspouse

militaryspouse Active Member

Yes..am sorry I had registered under a different name and forgot all my info so I re-registered. I came across that thread after I submitted the new one. Once again my apologies. However with the info that was given in the original thread was somewhat useful but not completely considering the language barrier plus the other website they do not do genelogy research I had to contact individuals to go and get the info from the archive.

8. Suniskys

Suniskys Active Member

My maiden name is Kabele, I have family in Prague. I don't know if that would be a slightly different version of the name you're tracking down or not since I'm not very familiar with Czech last names.