Seeking Surname Meaning for WENTRCEK

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by Smetana, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Smetana

Smetana Member

I am seeking the meaning of the surname WENTRCEK (current spelling); VENTRCEK (spelling used by great grandfather in Moravia and later Texas); VENTRCKA (spelling used by 5th great grandfather); WENTRCZA (spelling used by 6th great grandfather, ca 1684 - 1732); and, VENTRCIL (spelling used by 7th great grandfather, ca 1645 - 1688). Would appreciate any assistance.

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Blind guess, based on roots:

ven = outside
    trčil = stretched

Gig 'em!

3. Smetana

Smetana Member

Thanks for the reply. Your suggestion sort of goes along with one sent to me several years ago - In the year 1669 the villagers of Zadverice were attacked by soldiers led by Emerich Tokoly, and they ran to hide in the nearby woods. One account is written...."len hlavy im ven tracali." I have been told this translates to..."only their heads jutted out."

4. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Yes, that's basically what the phrase translates to. Note, the phrase you quote is in Slovak, whereas the surname is in Czech. Zadvěřice is only about 15 km from the current border with Slovakia.

5. Smetana

Smetana Member

Sova: Thanks for the additional information. I did not know that the story account was in Slovak, nor did I know that the village of Zadverice was that close to the border. I appreciate your input.

6. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

7. lindak

lindak Member

Hello Smetana,
    I noticed that you had ancestors from Zadverice. My grandfather was from there. He came to America rather late (1912), and I still have family over there that we are in contact with. I am hoping to visit the Czech Republic next year. My family there still owns the house my grandfather was born in. My grandfather's name was Karel Krampota. He Americanized his name to Charles. When he first came to America he settled in Kinney, Tx, and then moved to Iowa Colony Tx, where my father was raised. I live in Oregon now, and at times I miss that whole Texas Czech culture thing, that I was raised on.

8. Smetana

Smetana Member

Lindak: Yes, the Krampotas that came to Texas were from the villages of Zadverice and Jasenna. My sources show that another Krampota (Thomas Krampota) arrived alone at the Port of Galveston aboard the CREFELD on 9 May 1902. He was a 24 year old blacksmith from Zadverice, and settled in Texas. Don't know if he is related to you or not.

9. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Nice try, but I'm doubtful about it.

My guess is that it is something related to vantroky.

10. lindak

lindak Member

Smetana,
    Thomas Krampota was my grandfather's older brother. They had another brother, John, who also immigrated to America. The first of the family to immigrate was their uncle. I believe his name was also John, but I am not sure. He lived in Kinney. I believe he had either a store or a blacksmith shop.