Seeking Surname meanings for: Balatka, Psenka, Svejka

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by Smetana, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Smetana

Smetana Member

I am seeking the surname meanings of: Balatka (perhaps it is Baletka), Psenka, and Svejka. Also, would appreciate any genealogical information on Elisabeth Balatka (or Baletka), b. circa 1745-50 at Zadverice, Moravia; married, circa 1782, Martin Wentrcza of Zadverice.

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Baletka is a ballet dancer--I'm not sure what Balatka might mean. I suspect that Pšenka is derived from the word "pšenice" which means wheat. Švejka, I believe, is a variant of an originally German surname, Schweik (Czech Švejk).

I did a quick search of Ventrča's in the online phonebook and came up with 4 listings, one in Želechovice nad Dřevnicí, only a km or two from Zadveřice, two in Bzenec and one in Kostelany nad Moravou, about 30 to 40 km SW respectively of Zadveřice, near Uherské Hradiště.

For Balatka (which appears about twice as common as Baletka throughout the Czech Republic), I found 2 listings in Otrokovice, abt. 12 km to the west. For Baletka, I came up with 11 names within about 30 to 40 km, mostly in small villages near Zlín, Všetín, and Valasšké Meziříčí. So judge for yourself the probability of which surname might be the correct one, based on this information. Note, that many Czech households, particularly in villages, might not have a land line telephone.

Note there is a website listed for the regional archives in Zlin, http://www.archiv-zlin.cz/, although I tried to access it today, and couldn't--perhaps the server is down, or the site has been moved, I'm not sure. At any rate, they may have available some limited services/webpages in English.

3. wer

wer Well-Known Member

I don't think it could be "Baletka", since it is derived from "balet" which is relatively new loanword.

"Balatka" is archaic word for a small glass ball. Figuratively it means small or unimportant thing, or small amount (of money).

Yes, "pšenka" is a diminutive form of "pšenice" (wheat).