Small apartment costs

Discussion in 'Housing - For Rent, Sale or Exchange' started by SMZ, May 16, 2005.

1. SMZ

SMZ Well-Known Member

I will be spending several months in the CR next year (roughly mid-January through May), and am exploring various housing options.

As a back-up plan, I have a reserved place at a Charles University (Troja) dormitory, but am not enthusiastic about this. I admit that I don't know a lot about dormitory life in the CR, so I might have an inaccurate idea of what this would be like. :?

I'd like to get some information on costs for a small, furnished apartment that would include a kitchen (or kitchenette) with sink, stove/oven, refrigerator, and microwave. In addition, I'd like to have a washing machine (laundry, not dishes) and, if possible, a dryer. I will not have a car, so do not need a garage. As long as I'm wishing, I'd also LOVE to have the option of high-speed Internet access, even at an additional monthly fee.

I realize that different areas have different rental "averages," so if it makes a differences, I'd prefer being nearer to the Troja area.

Any ballpark estimates of monthly rental rates and utilities would be appreciated! I'd prefer to pay no more than 12,000 Czk per month, if possible... :)

Thanks!

Susan

2. cecco angiolieri

cecco angiolieri Well-Known Member

Hello Ms. Susan,
    Here i have a web site... http://www.pronajembytu.cz/search.asp and you can look for many more just using google and the key word pronajem (rent) if you need a dictionary on line you could rely on www.slovnik.cz a pretty accurate one..... god bless your search... and well 12k isn't a bad budget.... i think you'll find a decent flat and concerning the internet... cough cough ... the fastest at the moment avaiable is adsl ,512 kb per sec, not that fast though.

Take care
    Cecco

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Susan,

Cecco is right, 12 000 Kč as a max. for a small apartment is nice and you shouldn't have a problem finding something according to your specifications. If you look in Trója itself however, you may have a hard time finding a place because I don't think Trója has that many apartments to offer. There are mostly houses there and some new apartments are being built but those may cost more than 12 000 Kč. You may have better luck if you look in one of the neighboring districts, such as Holešovice.

Dryers are unfortunately not common enough here and do not routinely come with the place. If there is no microwave, you can buy one for under 5000 Kč.

I've seen utilities run at around 2500 Kč for a 70 - 80 m2 place, which is probably larger than what you're looking for. It sounds like you'll be fine with a place that's no more than 50 m2, so utilities should be less.

We've had Internet Broadband from Czech Telecom for almost a year now, it's 1024/256, nice and fast, no glitches, we love it. We're paying about 1900 Kč/month for it.

Dana

4. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

If you look at www.srealty.cz and select Pronájem, your district of choice, you can get an idea with fotos.

Dana is correct, net speed here is slow and costly. 1900 kc is about 75 USD per month, double the price that we usually pay in the states and half the speed :{{{

The problem you will have is that you only want a few months, thus, no contract and folks hesitate to rent for short periods

5. SMZ

SMZ Well-Known Member

This is very helpful, thanks! Now that January is creeping nearer on the calendar, I'll be searching more seriously to find something soon.

I'm still not having any luck looking for a musical instrument rental place, though (mentioned in a different message) so if anyone can help with this I'd appreciate it much! Looking to rent a harp -- semi-grand/pedal preferred. Too difficult/expensive/risky to bring my own. :)

Susan

6. digit

digit Member

I was thinking of the same. ISP's must be doing pretty well in Czech with those prices. And thinking of that the average salary is like 700 euros per month there. In my country 1024/512 kbit ADSL costs about 25 - 35 euros. The new ADSL2+ 24/1 Mbit costs 69 euros but is not yet widely available, tho.