a confusing idiom

Discussion in 'General Language' started by dzurisova, Feb 26, 2010.

1. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

když se kácí les, letájí třísky: when you fell a forest the splinters fly. Which is comparable to “You can’t make an omelet without breaking a few eggs”, a phrase which means it is difficult to achieve something important without causing any unpleasant effects -- all taken from Radio Praha Soundczech. (I think they may have meant "fall" instead of "fell", but I copied it just as the website said it).

What confuses me is how do these phrases compare? Whereas making an omlet may be considered pleasent or important, what is pleasent or important about falling in a forrest? Perhaps this belongs in culture since it probably is explained in someway with the culture of Czechs that they see falling in a forrest as important. :?: :?:

2. hribecek

hribecek Well-Known Member

It doesn't mean falling in a forest. It means what it says - to fell a forest as in to cut it down.

3. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Když se kácí les, letají třísky.

To follow up on Dzurisova's post..I get the meaning of the idoioms..Probably something like ˇTo get something done, you have to first make a mess'.

My question is about the verb.

Kácet......and....kácet se

Když kácí les.....versus.....Když se kácí les

The first one means 'When he is cutting down a forest'?

while the second one means..... 'When a forest is cut down/When one cuts down a forest??

Kácet se....the 'se' here makes it the passive voice?

4. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

Exactly as you say, YES to all three questions 8)

5. TomKQT

TomKQT Well-Known Member

Just a little note to this:
    "Kácet se" is a different verb (zvratné sloveso, I don't know the correct English translation of this), it doesn't have to be the passive form of "kácet".
    I'll start with an example of another verb:
    prát: Peru prádlo. I do the washing.
    prát (passive): Tyhle šaty se špatně perou. This dress doesn't wash well.
    prát se (zvratné sloveso): Nikdy se neperu s holkami. I never fight girls.

The case of "kácet" and "kácet se" is a bit different because while "prát" and "prát se" have different meanings, "kácet" and "kácet se" have very similar meanings, just the use is different.

Opilec se kácí k zemi. A drunkard is toppling down.
    This is not passive, it's zvratné sloveso.

Když se kácí les.
    This is so called zvratné pasivum, so it is passive.

6. scrimshaw

Nice to know I'm on the right track.
    Je to dobrý vidět, že sleduji spravné stopy.

prát...versus...prát se....that is a big change in meaning

Dostal jsem špatné noviny a tak jsem odešel hned, abych se dostal k městu v čas. Doufal jsem, že budu asi moct zabránit i horšímu pohoromu.

Přeji vám hodně štěstí a přejí si hodně štěstí také.

Abychom kácali a odstranili ty dvě stromy před setmění, měli bychom tam přijít před svítání.

7. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

* střední rod, vzor "stavení"

8. wer

wer Well-Known Member

A passive voice of a kind, but it is not the real passive from the grammatical point of view.

This usage of reflexive in Czech is used for expresions with indefinite general agents of action. Because the real agent is unknown, the verbal object is formally used as subject and the verb is turned into a reflexive form. We do this because in Czech, unlike in English, it is strange to use the verbal object as subject without changing the verb. In English, you simply use the verb without object and the original object is turned into subject. Eventually, you use some indefinite subject like “one” or the real passive construction.

An example:

I lock the door. = (Já) zamykám dveře.

The door locks from the outside. = Dveře se zamykají zvenku. (lit. The door locks itself from the outside.)

More examples:

V Rakousku se mluví německy.
      (lit.: In Austria, it speaks itself German.)
      German is spoken in Austria.

Pivo se vaří z vody, sladu a chmele.
      (lit.: Beer brews itself from water, malt and hops.)
      Beer is brewed from water, malt and hops.

Něco se musí udělat.
      (lit.: Something must do itself.)
      It is necessary to do something.
      Something must be done.

The saying uses a construction like this:

Když se zamykají dveře, musí se zamykat zvenku.
      When locking the door, one must lock it from the outside.

i.e. it means something like:

When cutting down a forrest, one should not mind the splinters.
      (…one should not wonder there are splinters flying around.)

9. scrimshaw

Interesting that dveře je pořád mnohočislo.

Nezapomeň zamknout dveře. Nezamknuté dveře přivítají všelijaké podivné tvory a víš, že chceme, aby lůza zůstával venku, kam patří.

Vino se dělá z jakýsi ovoce nebo zeleniny, trochu vody a času. Můžeš v obchodu na paté ulici najít hroznové vino, jablkové vino i broskové vino.
    Alkohol se dělá kolem světa z i bramborů i rýže. Nic nepřijde mezi člověkem a jeho alkoholem. Nejsem si jist zda je to požehnání nebo prokletí.
    Alkohol dělali i starodávný člověk.

V Americe se mluví jazyky ze všech částí světa, ale hlavní jazyky, které se mluví, jsou angličtina a spanělština. Dá se ale najít tady lide z každé země na světě. U nohy sochy svobody jsou napsané tato sova, jenž autorka byla americká basnička Emma Lazarus...."Nechejte pro sebe vaše starobílý země, vaše proslavenou okázalost. Dejte mi vaši unaveni, vaši chudi, vaše shromažděné masy, kteří touhají po den, kdy budou moct volně vdechat. Zvedám u zlatých dveře svítilnu."

10. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

David, oldwhite again?

11. scrimshaw

starobylý :D To je hezká lečka, která jsem připravil pro sám sebe a pěkně jsem si do ni spadl.

Conan ten barbar, ten, který je dnes guvernér státu Californie, vešel do starobýlého chramu a modlil se k boží, že bude mít úspěch na jeho samozvané poslání, v kterém se pomstí mu, který zabil jeho matku.

12. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

edit: misspost, tired!