Czech pangram?

Discussion in 'General Language' started by Ctyri koruny, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pangrams#Czech

Anyone know one so they can contribute to Wikipedia and with that the wealth of human knowledge? You're looking for a sentence which contains every letter of the alphabet.

Feel free to write one, but it has to be a proper grammatical sentence! (As in you can't add in an natural number of clauses.) hee hee

I've asked my students about this a few times and no one knew one, so maybe it genuinely doesn't exist. Any ideas why that might be?

My favorite English one:

Jaded zombies acted quietly but kept driving their oxen forward.

2. wer

wer Well-Known Member

What a challenge.

But also cruel, cruel joke.

3. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Fine, I have it.

Nechť již hříšné saxofony ďáblů rozzvučí síň úděsnými tóny waltzu, tanga a quickstepu.

Let the sinful saxophones of devils finally make the hall resonate with the frightful tunes (or tones?) of waltz, tango and quickstep.

All 42 letters of the Czech alphabet, 71 letters in total. The q-word was the most challenging part.

Unfortunately, j and b are missing in the English translation, so it is not perfect. :wink:

I wonder if somebody can compress it somehow, or find a completely different and shorter pangram in Czech. :twisted:

4. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Really impressive, Wer.

Frightful tones of the Waltz....nice creation

I think 'tones' is correct, as you suggested, 'tunes' would probably be 'pisníčky' nebo 'melodie'.

And you had an even greater challenge...in english we only have 26 letters.

If you are wanting to make the sentence as short as possible, I noticed you can eliminate the word sinful......but then that takes away from the drama.

5. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Nope, he can't get rid of "hříšné." It would leave out the letters h (ch is considered a separate letter, and therefore does not contain h), ř, š, and é (and yes, he's counting all the letters with diacriticals as separate letters, e.g. d and ď, t and ť, n and ň, and u, ů and ú!).

A masterful job, wer! I'm impressed.

6. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

Fantastic! I think we should contribute it. Okay they say "No well know pangram exists..." and Wikipedia is not the place for original research BUT we all know about it? That means it's well known enough, and if we put it on Wikipedia it will be even more well known. AND if someone besides Wer puts it up it's no longer original research is it? ;)

And it makes sense as well, a lot of the English ones don't make any sense at all.

That was great work.

7. scrimshaw

you are right

hříšné...needed for the h....ř and š too

8. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

To wer:
    Maybe if you replaced "sinful" in your English translation by "jezebelian", it would be perfect :) .

9. scrimshaw

You guys are too good!!! :lol: I think the collaboration is a contest winner.