Question for people here who are learning Czech

Discussion in 'General Language' started by hockeygirl_leafs07, May 20, 2004.

1. hockeygirl_leafs07

hockeygirl_leafs07 Active Member

Could you tell me which books you bought and are using to study czech?
    Which books do you recommend?
    I went on Amazon.com to do a search, and there are good and awful reviews
    for the same book so those reviews do not help me much.
    I'd like a book that focus more on grammar and sentence structure, verb conjugaisons, charts, etc....I don't really want a book that focuses a lot on dialogue/conversation skills (like a "phrase book"). I really want to know why a sentence is written the way it is. Since I studied French for 12 years, and then latin, german, spanish I do have experience learning foreign languages and don't want to know them on a superficial level.
    I want to read newspapers in Czech (about my favourite czech hockey players) translators are expensive, so I'll just learn the language. :D
    Thanks for any suggestions for books you may have.

P.S to the Forum mods, I know some one may have posted some thing like tihs a long time ago, so I hesitated a bit before posting something redundant but there's no search engine to search for certain threads..If there is one I can't find it.

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi hockeygirl,

You can search for a keyword or author by clicking on the 'Search' link in the yellow navigation strip on the top of the page. For example, if you enter the phrase 'czech books' into the keyword field, you will get a page with results listing previously posted threads that contain those two words. You can narrow your search down by specifying the forum to search (e.g. Language) and the time of posting (e.g. posted within the last week/month/year). One thread that comes up and that you may want to look at is a topic started by Joss on Feb. 2, 2004 that's titled 'Text Book Review'.

Good luck with your studies and please feel free to post your language questions here.

Dana

3. hockeygirl_leafs07

hockeygirl_leafs07 Active Member

Thanks a lot Dana!!
    That's just the type of thread I was looking for,
    Sorry, I never even noticed the search button before.
    :D

4. osbede

osbede Active Member

I just found a new textbook (new to me anyway) that isn't on any of the standard lists. It's called "Czech for Fun" (Cestina hrou) by Kresin.

It can be found on Amazon.com.

It's a standard classroom textbook with lots of exercises, charts, grammatical explanations, etc. It's the best thing I've found, although "Teach Yourself Czech" is also very good--just not enough practice exercises.

Osbede