exchange student

Discussion in 'General Language' started by Anke, May 22, 2000.

1. Anke

Anke Well-Known Member

I would like to visit the Czech Republic for a longer period of time and therefore thought an exchange semester at a Czech University would be a nice way to do this.
    I will have studied the Czech language for two years at the point of time I would like to come. I don't know whether I would have to speak Czech at university. (Budu studovat anglistiku.)
    My Czech is not good enough, yet, but I hope to understand a lot of everyday-situations (getting to know each other, shopping etc.) in a year's time. Do you think that will be enough?
    What else do I have to know about studying in the Czech Republic?

2. Jameson

Jameson New Member

Hi, I am going to the Czech Republic in the fall to study abroad (only for one semester). I went through the ACM program at my college. The university that I will be going to is the University of Palacky in Olomouc. Right now I know very little Czech. Hopefully I will be able to pick some up in the summer. The classes are in English (only for ACM students), and I will also be taking a Czech language course.

How did you start to learn the Czech language? I do not know where to start.

3. Jameson

Jameson New Member

Oh wait.. I just noticed you were not from the USA.. so that ACM program would not be of any use for you.

4. Anke

Anke Well-Known Member

I started learning Czech at university. Here in Germany, some universities (most of them I think) offer Czech language courses and that's how I got started. I'm having a book with which we work most of the time. A very big help is my teacher who's a native (Slovak) speaker.
    You're right, we do not have ACM over here. Maybe you can keep on posting topics here when you are in Olomouc and tell us your experiences. Ok?