Czech chararcter

Discussion in 'General Language' started by Anonymous, Nov 24, 1999.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have a question maybe someone can answer. Sometimes I see a character in Czech that looks like an "O" with a diagonal line through it. What does this indicate? thanks.

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Lenny,
    The character you described is not a part of the Czech alphabet. I am not sure what context you've seen the character in, but all I can think of is that it is a way people sometimes write the digit "zero", probably in order to distinguish it from the letter "O" when the two might get mixed up. This is not specific for Czech only. I think I've seen this character used as a "zero" in other languages, too.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lenny, if you have seen this symbol on the Internet as I have, I think it is a substitute letter for the Czech r with a hachek on top (the soft r). I also noticed e with charka, on the net seems to represent the c with hachek (the soft c). I think the reason for this is that the html language used in websites doesn't support these and some other Czech/Slovak alphabet letters.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I figured it out. Youre right. But to view the characters correctly, you have to download software. It usually comes up when you go to the site.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I can help you easy with that problem, if y interested in it. I`m czech speaking english. that charka like y say is in czech carka and that sign means that pronaciation

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have only found one website that correctly displays the characters for me. That site is www.idnes.cz I was told that reading Czech would be a good way to build my vocabulary, so I went to this site and the characters were REALLY messed up. I installed the software, and that seemed to help. However, it only helped on one website. Oh well. I find listening to Czech to be more helpfull, as you can hear how the words are pronounced.
    I am 16 years old and have been studying Czech for about 3 months. It is very hard compared to Spanish (which I am taking in school), but its coming. Czech is a very cool language, and my goal is to become fluent in it.
    Na Shledanou

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow Lenny! That's cool that you're learning Czech on your own. I'm 16 too and want to start learning how to speak so I can talk to my grandpa in it and read old family papers, etc. Where do you start? What motivated you to learn? I'm going to visit Prague this summer and it would be really nice to know how to speak a little more than my 4 words.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, what motivated me? I guess I really dont have an answer to that, other than I thought it would be cool to be the only one in school to speak Czech. I wanted to learn it back in the seventh grade, but only got around to it late last year.
    Consider yourself lucky that you get to go to Prague. We simply dont have the money to go on a trip like that.
    If I were you, I would work mostly on pronunciation. That is really something you just have to do, and that reading a book will never teach you to do.
    Keep posting on this board. Maybe we can help each other learn Czech.
    Na Shledanou,
    Lenny

9. Lucie

Lucie New Member

Lenny, I'd have to agree with you that it's really important to work on pronunciation...but I'd also suggest learning lots of vocabulary as well. It's no fun travelling to some other country and constantly having to ask the people around you how to say something in the other language. I've learnt that from previous experience. I was born in Prague, but moved to America when I was 2 (I'm 16 now), so I'm not totally fluent in Czech. Everytime I go visit my family, my parents are contstantly translating for me, and it gets kind of embarrasing at times too. So, my advice to anyone who's learning the language (or any other language for that matter) is to learn lots of words, and how to say them really well. Don't worry so much about whether or not you can read it...you can always get someone to read it out loud for you...but you have to be able to talk and say what you're thinking. Good luck to everyone who's trying to learn the language. Cau

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Very true. I guess my strength would be pronunciation (even though I cant spell the word! Bloody English language!)
    I have the entire Portuguese lyrics to a song I like memorized. I wrote them on the chalkboard at school on the last day. No one got it. Oh well. Im going to try to translate it into Czech.