new and already need help

Discussion in 'General Language' started by josh, Jan 26, 2003.

1. josh

josh Member

Hi. I'm newly registered here, although I admit I've been lurking for several months. I currrently live in Denver, and I am preparing to move to the Czech Republic this summer.

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but do I translate my name into Czech or do I just use it in its American form? My name is Josh/Joshua. I'm working to learn the language as best I can in the time I go, and I thought I should be able to question "what is your name?" without sounding too terrible.

By the way, I'm guessing that since my name doesn't have a Name Day its not too common in the Czech Republic. It doen't sound like anything silly or offensive in Czech does it? Just asking [​IMG]

Thanks for any help you can give.

Josh

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Josh and welcome to the boards! It's exciting that you're going to be moving to the Czech Republic!

I wouldn't try to "translate" your name into Czech - honestly, I don't know what you'd come up with since your name really is not common in the Czech Republic and we don't have a Czech equivalent for it. Just go ahead and use your name the way it is. Don't worry, it doesn't mean anything silly or offensive in Czech. [​IMG]

Good luck with your studies!

Dana

3. Bohaemus

Bohaemus Well-Known Member

Czech "Bible Kralická" uses "Jozue" (the successor of Moses).