Learning Czech

Discussion in 'General Language' started by ngann, Jun 30, 2003.

1. ngann

ngann New Member

I am from Scotland and i visited Prague during easter. I found it to be a very interesting city and i now really want to learn Czech. My problem is that i don't know the best way to start, would learning the grammer first be a good idea? I would be grateful is someone could tell me where is best to begin.

2. Kikko

Kikko Well-Known Member

Everyone has his own method to study, surely grammar is something you cannot avoid [​IMG]
    Chce - nechce you will have to learn it...

You should begin by learning basic declensions (nouns/adjective/pronouns) and verbs (byt, mit)

The dictionary only gives you nominative (nouns) and infinitive (verbs) so if you dont know basic declensions and conjugations you wont go far [​IMG]

3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

To Kikko:
    Just a small correction - it is not chce - nechce, but chtě - nechtě (for a male speaker) or chtíc - nechtíc (for female one), event. chtíce - nechtíce (plural for both genders)

4. Kikko

Kikko Well-Known Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jana:
    <B>To Kikko:
    Just a small correction - it is not chce - nechce, but chtě - nechtě (for a male speaker) or chtíc - nechtíc (for female one), event. chtíce - nechtíce (plural for both genders)</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard it once, well i wasnt SO far [​IMG]
    wish u a nice summer jana [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Ani

Ani Well-Known Member

HI:) I HAVEN'T WRITTEN ANYTHING HERE FOR A LONG TIME BUT I ALWAYS FOLLOW THE MESSAGE POSTS. JANA/KIKKO WOULD YOU MIND EXPLAINING WHAT CHTE/NECHTE MEANS. IS IT SOME KIND OF EXPRESSION? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. I WILL BE ATTENDING A ONE MONTH INTENSIVE COURSE AT CHARLES UNIVERSITY THIS SUMMER AND I'M REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO IT:)
    ANI

6. Bohaemus

Bohaemus Well-Known Member

Chtě/chtíc/chtíce (or chtěje/chtějíc/chtějíce) is the present transgressive of chtít (= to want, to wish).
    Chtě nechtě means willy nilly (according to my dictionary) or - from Latin - volens nolens.

[This message has been edited by Bohaemus (edited 14-07-2003).]

7. Ani

Ani Well-Known Member

Thanks again for your help Bohaemus:) I'm sorry about the upper case letters in my last message but i didn't notice until after I sent it.
    Ani

8. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Ani, good luck with your language course! Please let us know how it was and what you thought about it. I'm curious.

9. Ani

Ani Well-Known Member

Ahoj Dano!
    I just found the message you left here. I hope you don't mind the late reply:) Well the language course was great but unfortunately too short. There were over 200 of us from all over the world and at least I found there are other people out there who are learning Czech just for fun! Being immersed in Czech for 5 hours daily was such a great help, and once we entered the fourth week everything was becoming so much easier. There were 4 different levels from beginner to Proficient. On the strength of my test results I was put in Proficient but I changed classes till I found one I was happy with. I finally settled in an Intermediate class because while my grammar is not so bad, my speaking skills are miserable and this is where I hoped to improve. Having said that, I still leant a lot at Intermediate level. I thoroughly recommend the Letni skola and I really hope I will be lucky enough to go again this year to further improve my knowledge of this great language. Of course seeing Prague again is also an enticement for me:)) We'll see:)) Please feel free to ask any other questions about the course that I didn't answer. thanks for your interest.
    Anna

10. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Thanks Ani, I was interested in hearing what you thought. I'm glad you liked the course. It sounds like it's pretty helpful - and it sure is a great excuse to spend the summer in Prague. [​IMG]