Learning the Language

Discussion in 'General Language' started by RJN741, Jan 30, 2004.

1. RJN741

RJN741 New Member

I am new to the site! So first off Hello!
    I started dating a Czech girl few month back. She was in the States for the model season (she's a model) She as gone back home and decided to stay. So now I am concidering moving to Prague to see where we end up and for the adventure, seeing as I have never been anywhere really. So I was wondering what you all would recomend for easiest and quickest way to learn to speak Czech.

Thanks
    Rob

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Rob and welcome to the boards!

To answer your direct question directly: The quickest way (I don't know about "easiest") to learn Czech is to be thrown in the midst of a chatty Czech family in which no one speaks a word of English, with a Czech text book in your hand and time to do some serious studying. An American friend of mine did exactly that (rented a room in the house of a Czech family on the outskirts of Prague) and was fluent in Czech, slang and all, with close to perfect pronunciation, when he was leaving Prague two years later. Of course having a knack for languages helps, motivation (such as a girl :) ) does too, and determination is key.

Otherwise, to follow the more traditional route, buy some textbooks and tapes - you can see a nice list of reviews here - and start studying in your free time. Listen to tapes in your car, try to find a Czech person in your area with whom you could communicate. Czech is a hard language (not the best one to start with if you've never studied another language) but it can be learned. Good luck!