Eng > CZ - "Kitchen Crew"

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by rrandez, Jul 22, 2009.

1. rrandez

rrandez New Member

I own a restaurant in a part of Texas that has a large Czech population. Anyway we would like to make T-shirts that say Kitchen Crew on the back but in Czech. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

Usually we say Personál kuchyně, but the word personál (personnel) is not very Czech (it's from Latin, in fact).

I suggest Osazenstvo kuchyně.

3. rrandez

rrandez New Member

Great! Thanks for the quick response.

4. Levandule

Levandule Member

I would "vote" for kuchyňský personál which is a commonly used term.

5. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

I would vote for:
    "Osazenstvo kuchyně" or
    "Kuchyňské osazenstvo"

Both sound more Czech and less Latin. :wink:

6. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

This one makes the most sense

7. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

There is no difference between personál kuchyně and kuchyňský personál, except that personál kuchyně seems to be little more frequent.

The adjective kuchyňský is convenient for kuchyňský a obsluhující personál (cooking and serving crew).

As for personál vs. osazenstvo:

personál is certainly more common, it is also understandable for non-Czechs
    osazenstvo less common, sounds Czech and is not understandable for non-Czechs

The decision is yours, Señor(a) Randez.

8. wer

wer Well-Known Member

I would vote for simple “kuchyně/kuchyň” (= kitchen) which should be easily understood as “kitchen crew”.

You could use even “personál”, that word is used for any working staff and in the given context you needn’t be so specific. (“Osazenstvo” is general term for “a group of people somewhere”, so you can’t use it alone.)

And I would definitely prefer the adjective “kuchyňský” (= kitchen) over the genitive “kuchyně” (= of the kitchen).

And what’s wrong about words of foreign origin? And isn’t it a little weird to lament over Latin based “personál” (< German “Personal” < Latin “personale”) and let totally unnoticed the Latin based “kuchyně/kuchyň” (< Old Upper German “kuhhina” < vulgar Latin “cucīna/cocīna” < Latin “coquīna”).

9. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

It is wrong that personál is not a distinctly Czech word and could be easily identified as a Spanish word, especially in Texas.

Kuchyně is an old loanword, not too similar to Spanish cocina.

In either case Commercial Czech is rather clumsy and not very suitable for T-shirts.
    Kitchen Crew in Chinese is much more spectacular. :)

10. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

I vote for Kuchyňská posádka, anebo posádka kuchyně.
    That is if you are trying to bring to mind something like the old pirate crews.
    We have a pirate ship that sails each year for an imaginary historical invasion of Tampa by an imaginary famous pirate. Ten dobře známý Jose Gaspár. Glenn z Floridy ho zná.
    On board sails.....'Ye mystic crew.'