CZ>EN : Dopit'ak

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by milton, Sep 30, 2009.

1. milton

milton Well-Known Member

Could someone please break down the etymology of the Czech nickname " Dopit'ak ".

Is is Pit to drink? + the prefix 'do' {1.Reach a limit or 2) Finish doing something ), thus making it Dopit + panak (shot) + AK now changes the meaning to 'someone who drinks st to completion'.

Am I on it guys? am I right? close? Someone also told me it could mean one who only drinks the bottom few sips of all the orphaned beers, and so then I laughed and asked myself, wait don't we already have a name for these people? yes we do, we call them BUMS. Yes they are. At any rate, any provisionment, elaboration or explanation as to how this etymology construct evolved would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

Oooo interesting word To me it sounds like someone who makes sure they have got every last drop of their beer or shot.. So an alcoholic/very economic person heh.
    There is a social stigma at home in Ireland against people smoking cigarettes down to the butt.. not being a smoker I don't understand it.. but maybe this is similar?
    I will ask my czech teacher if no one here answers!

3. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

aaahhh... good to the last drop!

(reference to a long standing coffee advertising slogan) :wink:

4. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

My husband and all his friends leave at least one swallow in the beer. They say the last swallow is not good. So I think Ctyri koruny's suggestion sounds like a pretty good explanation. If someone finishes the beer to the last drop, it makes sense that Czech's would find it meritable for a nick name. :)

for those learning English - merit-able isn't proper

5. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

Hee hee yes, in your CAE exams you should say something like "merit-worthy" or " of merit"
    But in real life we can play with English :)

I asked my teacher and she hadn't heard it, but she will ask her boyfriend, maybe he will know.

I think if you drink your beer too slowly then certainly the bit at the end is terrible! I will watch what everyone else does next time in the pub :)

6. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

Milton, you are on the right track with the ethymology (but not with meaning).

Dopiťák is a nickname for Jiří Dopita, one of the best Czech ice-hockey players (remember OG Nagano 1998).

His surname very probably comes from the passive participle dopit = finished up (by drinking), like in Pohár je dopit (the chalice is finished up).

The man who eats (drinks) leftovers in buffets is called somrák or bufeťák (slangy words, of course).