soutěž vs konkurence vs konkurz

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by Ctyri koruny, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

competition...
    What's the difference?
    Konkurz means job interview? Only job interview?

2. TomKQT

TomKQT Well-Known Member

Konkurz is not direcly job interview (that would be pracovní pohovor). Konkurz is when one or more people are being chosen from more candidates. It's the whole process, not just interviews. It's most typically used when a fashion company is looking for new models, a theatre for new actors (for a new musical for example), but also a company for new employees.
    Then there is a slightly different meaning - when the government wants some work to be done (build a road, build some machines for the army etc.), it must make konkurz (tender) and choose the best supplier or executor.
    And finaly, when a company is out of money, it goes into konkurz (bankruptcy).

Soutěž is a competition or a contest. It can be used in many situations, for sport events for example (but absolutely not only).

I must leave now, I'll explain the rest later.

3. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Soutěž = competition, contest (game)
    Konkurence = competetion, rivalry (real life, bussiness)

but:
    Hospodářská soutěž = economic competition

Konkurz (in film industry) is casting

However the same process can be use for models, directors (I guess in english casting does not fit, but in czech it is still konkurz).

4. TomKQT

TomKQT Well-Known Member

I'll just add that konkurz in the first meaning I described in my previous post also has its czech phrase výběrové řízení (both words must be used, řízení by its own means something completely different).

And konkurz as english "tender" can also be called "tendr" in czech (without the e). Tendr is used more than konkurz in this meaning.

5. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

i think "audition" might work in these cases in English - it is used for musicians, dancers, roles in plays, etc.

6. Ctyri koruny

There doesn't seem to be any consistent rule?

I just have to learn off by heart the contexts in which they are used because to me it seems there is no difference in meaning other than that.

7. wer

wer Well-Known Member

In general terms, “konkurz/konkurs” stays for any process of selecting the applicants.

You can apply for a post, hence the usage for a competition for a post. (It is not used for application for job in general!)

You can apply for a role, hence the usage for casting.

You can apply for a tender, hence the usage for competition of tenders.

You can apply for your claim compensation in the compulsory liquidation, hence the usage for bankruptcy.

(Beside this, “Konkurs” is also an anti-tank missile of Soviet provenience used by the Czechoslovak People’s Army and even by People's Militias. :wink:)

8. Ctyri koruny

Okay I get it now! Yeah that's right you have to file for bankruptcy.. That's a nice connection.. Thank you!