CZ to ENG please

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by McCracken, Jan 24, 2011.

1. McCracken

McCracken Well-Known Member

Could anyone please suggest a suitable English equivalent for:

"jit do sebe" ?

Slovnik.cz suggests "eat humble pie", which doesn't fit with what a Czech friend is trying to say in English.

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I am not sure what "eat humble pie" mean, but "sel do sebe" (3rd person past tense) means that he is/was thinking about his actions, realized he did something wrong, and is going to do better.

We can say "sel do sebe" for example about:

Prisoner who is let out of prison for good behaviour, but is changed and is trying to contribute to the society.

Pupil, who received lot of Es and Fs last year, but he realized that this way is not good for him, start to learn, and this year is doing better.

3. McCracken

Thanks Alex - I can see how this would fit in much better now.

In English, to "eat humble pie" is to have to admit that you are wrong and to say you are sorry. I think in North America they use the expression "eat crow".

The way you put it, it seems more like "jit do sebe" is a voluntary act of contrition and reform.

I would tend to use "eat humble pie" when someone is FORCED to realise that they are wrong about something and have to admit they are wrong, and maybe apologise, even though they really don't want to.

4. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

In Texas, "eat humble pie" is a common phrase, but you're right--normally it is something forced on someone, rather than a result of introspection.

5. McCracken

Thanks Sova.

You have used the word that I was searching for in my head but which would not come to me - "introspection"!!

If I were to use an English idiom to reflect the sense of "jit do sebe", would "turn over a new leaf" be close?

6. wer

wer Well-Known Member

I don't think so, that's more like Czech "udělat (tlustou) čáru za minulostí" or like "obrátit list". (But the latter one is used rather for "change the subject".)

"Jít do sebe" is more like "go legit" or "mend one's ways".

7. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Nice topic... what would be analogy for "eat humble pie" in czech then? I guess the difference is exactly the voluntary/forced act.

What about: Co sis nadrobil, to si taky sněz!

Means like: You have to accept/face the consequences of your actions.

8. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Maybe "spolknout hořkou pilulku"?

9. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

eat humble pie, or eat crow..to publicly, or at least to the person, declare that he was wrong and the other's were right.

Musel přihlašit před všemi, že neměl pravdu.
    Snad, musel spolknout svoje slova.

10. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

I think the non-idiomatic equivalent of "jít do sebe" is "káti se" (to repent, cf. penitence, repentance) but the verb has strong religious connotations which limits its usage.

From M-W:

penitence, repentance, contrition, compunction mean regret for sin or wrongdoing. penitence implies sad and humble realization of and regret for one's misdeeds (absolution is dependent upon sincere penitence). repentance adds the implication of a resolve to change (repentance accompanied by a complete change of character). contrition stresses the sorrowful regret that constitutes true penitence (tearful expressions of contrition). compunction implies a painful sting of conscience especially for contemplated wrongdoing.

11. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

I've also seen "eat humble pie" used in the context of being humiliated, not necessarily as an admission of being wrong, but of being beaten, e.g. in sport. I guess the proper web term for such nowdays is to "be pwned."

12. McCracken

The more I think about it the more I think that someone "eats humble pie" after having taken a strident viewpoint that is the opposite of what actually transpires, or is correct.

Sova's example of sport is a good one. A team that would be described as having to eat humble pie would be one that told everyone in no uncertain terms that they would definitely win the match as their opponents were not very good etc etc. They then proceed to lose the match :lol: .

13. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Yes, that's a perfect example....the losing team, that had, before the game, declared that they would destroy the other team...would then have to have big dish of humple pie.